Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster vs Porsche GT3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche GT3 exists and is renewed every few years. 5yrs old new Roadster does not and will not for at least another 2 years.
I’d definitely go for the GT3 if I were you.
Completely agree. But the market is insane but calming down. I want the traditional 6sp manual to go along with the new tech. Waiting on my M3P as a daily and will be patient for the GT3. Thx for recs!

Completely agree. But the market is insane but calming down. I want the traditional 6sp manual to go along with the new tech. Waiting on my M3P as a daily and will be patient for the GT3. Thx for recs!
I’m been on the wait list (deposit paid) to get an allocation for 7 months.

Found out from my dealer earlier this week that 992 GT3s are ending production, as the RS hits the production line.

Sadly, will need to wait 3-4 years for the .2

And I thought my 8 months wait for a M3P was bad 🤣😭

I’m been on the wait list (deposit paid) to get an allocation for 7 months.

Found out from my dealer earlier this week that 992 GT3s are ending production, as the RS hits the production line.

Sadly, will need to wait 3-4 years for the .2

And I thought my 8 months wait for a M3P was bad 🤣😭
No way! I heard rumors about this. I’ll ask my local dealer as well. Originally on the waitlist for a Taycan GTS (after selling my 2013 P85+) and switched it to the M3P.
If your timeline is correct, I think the 992.2 GT3 Won’t be NA. And likely only PDK. I may just keep an eye out for the 991.2 GT3. I’ll let you know if I find out more. I was really hoping to have a custom build sometime in the next year or two.

Reactions: Bennny
I have a ‘74 911 Targa that I’ll never give up. Yes, it’s gas-guzzling, polluting and inefficient but my goodness the visceral experience is a joy. My M3 is far, far, FAR more practical and a lot of fun, but I never fail to have a smile on my face after driving the 911 (only a handful miles every month anyway, but enough to enjoy it).

I never understood the love for 911’s, until I drove one.

Don’t get me wrong - driving a M3P is a heck of a lot of fun, and as an around town daily, I believe the best car on earth.

But for pure joy, true connection, nothing beats a 911. A M3P feels soulless in comparison.

Reactions: EMDoc
No way! I heard rumors about this. I’ll ask my local dealer as well. Originally on the waitlist for a Taycan GTS (after selling my 2013 P85+) and switched it to the M3P.
If your timeline is correct, I think the 992.2 GT3 Won’t be NA. And likely only PDK. I may just keep an eye out for the 991.2 GT3. I’ll let you know if I find out more. I was really hoping to have a custom build sometime in the next year or two.

I’m not fussed on PDK only, as my order will likely be PDK anyway.

But if they are no longer NA, I’ll be heartbroken. The 9000rpm redline on an NA car is the reason I love them so much….

If you are buying with the intention to sell then you buy a GT3. They very rarely lose value and quite often appreciate. My 996 GT3 and my 991.2 6 speed GT3 are easy to move for as much and more than their MSRP. I saw a 2015 991.1 (PDK only) GT3 at the dealer where I bought my Taycan that was delivered delivery the same day for more than original MSRP.
Porsche depreciation is a real thing now. Has been for a while. Take a look at 5yo GT3 etc. Big hit.

However, the OP isn't talking the decision being about $$.
I don't think he'll be getting a Roadster any time soon, given the order backlog and low-rate production plan, so an interim option is needed.

Agreed 100%. A person has to hate money to buy a new 911. If I was going to ever consider an ICE car again (unlikely) I’d look at a 3-4 y/o 911. I did a Mercedes purchase a few years ago the same way - let some other sucker eat 50-60% of depreciation and I’ll take it nearly new and issue-free with a warranty as that depreciation curve starts to flatten.

But… different strokes. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: EMDoc and tangible1
Agreed 100%. A person has to hate money to buy a new 911. If I was going to ever consider an ICE car again (unlikely) I’d look at a 3-4 y/o 911. I did a Mercedes purchase a few years ago the same way - let some other sucker eat 50-60% of depreciation and I’ll take it nearly new and issue-free with a warranty as that depreciation curve starts to flatten.

Porsche is a trophy car, and having the latest is the best trophy.
Here in SoCAL, traffic limits what you can really do with any sportscar, so I ditched mine long ago and bought/developed a 911 racecar (and tow vehicle, and trailer, etc).
Never looked back.

Completely agree. This is a luxury not a necessity. I just want an old-school six speed manual and Porsche makes the best in my honest opinion. The 991.2 GT3 is likely on my list as things settle. It’s the only ICE car I would ever consider.

I’m set on buckets. But I know the 18 ways would prob be easier to live with. They are fantastic but I think the buckets make the GT3 a GT3. I haven’t sat in them yet…
Agree with both points.

I sat briefly in the buckets, and for my frame (70kg, 173cm) I found them very uncomfortable.

My dealer strongly advised the 18 ways for a car that will see very little track use.

Here in Aus, a 2018 GT3 is selling for $360k

A brand new 992 is $440k

I don’t know what the 2018’s were worth brand new, but I don’t think that’s too bad?
2018 sticker was around 140 plus options. They are still going 15 to 40 over MSRP depending on touring vs non touring and options. I’m all for the wing.

If you want a direct connection sports car, where the throttle is directly connected to your brain, try a Viper.

They offer a great integration between driver and vehicle. No turbos, no automatics. Just old school installation of the biggest motor possible into the smallest car possible. 4-640 hp, and torque directly from Heaven (or Hell)!

If you want a direct connection sports car, where the throttle is directly connected to your brain, try a Viper.

They offer a great integration between driver and vehicle. No turbos, no automatics. Just old school installation of the biggest motor possible into the smallest car possible. 4-640 hp, and torque directly from Heaven (or Hell)!
Out of curiosity- have you driven a GT3?

I like precision and efficiency over brute power. But I get your point. Something about Porsche in particular is more my tune. I’d take a GT3 over a Ferrari or Lambo or (name your exotic).

Reactions: Bennny