Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster vs Porsche GT3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. My story goes back to 2009. The test drive sold me. I had no expectations. Ended up getting a 997.2 Carrera S 6sp. Wish I never sold it. But will get a GT3 at some point. Nothing beats a performance EV as a daily though.
Our stories are very similar.

My first test was a new Carrera - driving past a dealer with a mate, called in for a quick look. Got chatting to the salesman, who threw us the keys. For a base model, I wasn’t expecting to be excited at all by the car. The moment I drove out, I was sold. I didn’t want to hand it back.

A few weeks later I tested a 720s, a car I was expecting to be wowed by. The performance was nuts - I remember thinking if this traction control malfunctions, this car is going to brutally murder me.

I wasn’t fussed handing the McLaren back.

I’d take the Porsche any day when it comes to smile on the dial factor.

GT3 for weekender, and a M3P with MPP bits as a DD = perfection.

Agree with both points.

I sat briefly in the buckets, and for my frame (70kg, 173cm) I found them very uncomfortable.

My dealer strongly advised the 18 ways for a car that will see very little track use.
Interesting. Yeah maybe I should sit in them. I don’t plan to take it to the track. Just the back roads for joy rides. I had 18 ways in my older 911 and they were amazing. But if the buckets are uncomfortable with my frame (5’7” and 60kg) then I’ll look for 18ways. If I get a used car, I’ll leave both options on the table.
Worst case scenario I have heard it isn’t too difficult to swap out the seats if needed

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennny
Interesting. Yeah maybe I should sit in them. I don’t plan to take it to the track. Just the back roads for joy rides. I had 18 ways in my older 9/11 and they were amazing. But if the buckets are uncomfortable with my frame (5’7” and 60kg) then I’ll look for 18ways. If I get a used car, I’ll both options on the table.
Worst case scenario I have heard it isn’t too difficult to swap out the seats if needed
Yeah I think I’ll order with the 18 ways, then buy a spare bucket I can use if I feel the need……

Reactions: EMDoc
I owned a 997.1 GT3 RS (as well as a 996 turbo, 993 targa, boxter s, and cayenne turbo). My GT3 was a track car, no way I’d own a GT3 if you don’t plan on tracking it. A Carrera s, 4s, or turbo would be a much better back road/sports car/daily driver. I don’t think the new roadster will be anywhere close to the same category as a 911. If Tesla does build it someday it will be a good car but not a 911.

Why not the best of both worlds and a Taycan turbo s?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennny
I owned a 997.1 GT3 RS (as well as a 996 turbo, 993 targa, boxter s, and cayenne turbo). My GT3 was a track car, no way I’d own a GT3 if you don’t plan on tracking it. A Carrera s, 4s, or turbo would be a much better back road/sports car/daily driver. I don’t think the new roadster will be anywhere close to the same category as a 911. If Tesla does build it someday it will be a good car but not a 911.

Why not the best of both worlds and a Taycan turbo s?
I'm sure the Next Gen #Roadster will be both a road cruiser and a track car... We just have to wait for the final final design and the specs.

I'm sure the Next Gen #Roadster will be both a road cruiser and a track car... We just have to wait for the final final design and the specs.
You’re probably right, but who knows when. And I like my teslas, but it won’t have the same driving dynamics, feel, and experience as a Porsche flat 6.

I’ve auto-crossed my model 3, it’s fast and easy to drive. But as a sports car EVs are pretty boring. For a nice sporting back road drive If I had to chose between any car tesla currently makes (or any EV) and a Miata I’d pick the Miata.

You’re probably right, but who knows when. And I like my teslas, but it won’t have the same driving dynamics, feel, and experience as a Porsche flat 6.

I’ve auto-crossed my model 3, it’s fast and easy to drive. But as a sports car EVs are pretty boring. For a nice sporting back road drive If I had to chose between any car tesla currently makes (or any EV) and a Miata I’d pick the Miata.
Agree with all of this. I really do miss my manual six speed 997.2 Carrera S. I wouldn’t get a RS Because I want a six speed manual if I go that route. I’m going to keep my options open but looking at for a 6 speed. I’m on the list for a Taycan GTS but I will likely opt out. I just found out I can work remotely and at this point my brand new model three performance is for sale. It’s a fantastic car As a daily but since I won’t be driving much, might as well have my fun car on the side. And let’s see when the roadster comes out. It’s already been several years and everyone is catching up. Tesla QC really needs to improve as experienced yet again on my model three.

Reactions: coleAK
EV Track cars have a long way to go. EVs are dominating auto cross and short trials but longer races and track days will be a while. Why? First off Charging takes longer then refueling, stop for 20min to recharge during an endurance race isnt happening. EVs are heavy, yes it’s low CG but weight is hard on tires. So for short races and trials they are not long enough to overheat/wear out tires. But a longer race or track day... And even if Tesla keeps the weight way down on the roadster (let’s say ~4K lbs) it could easily weight almost double a track ready GT3 cup car (~2600 lbs) or 3x a carerham seven (~1400lbs).

Agree with all of this. I really do miss my manual six speed 997.2 Carrera S. I wouldn’t get a RS Because I want a six speed manual if I go that route. I’m going to keep my options open but looking at for a 6 speed. I’m on the list for a Taycan GTS but I will likely opt out. I just found out I can work remotely and at this point my brand new model three performance is for sale. It’s a fantastic car As a daily but since I won’t be driving much, might as well have my fun car on the side. And let’s see when the roadster comes out. It’s already been several years and everyone is catching up. Tesla QC really needs to improve as experienced yet again on my model three.
I hear you, every sports car and track I’ve owned has been a manual. My kids are almost out of HS/college im down to one ICE (a built out off road LX570) on the list for 3 EV trucks (CT, rivian, and Silverado) I’m looking to get another sports car. Haven’t owned a Porsche (or other sports car) since moving to Alaska in 2010. Now I’m thinking about gutting and building out a 6 speed WRX STI or Audi RS4 for ice racing (as in frozen lakes).

Just a little while ago I would have said I’ll never buy another ice. But in terms of a enthusiast “for fun” extra car they make a lot of sense.

I hear you, every sports car and track I’ve owned has been a manual. My kids are almost out of HS/college im down to one ICE (a built out off road LX570) on the list for 3 EV trucks (CT, rivian, and Silverado) I’m looking to get another sports car. Haven’t owned a Porsche (or other sports car) since moving to Alaska in 2010. Now I’m thinking about gutting and building out a 6 speed WRX STI or Audi RS4 for ice racing (as in frozen lakes).

Just a little while ago I would have said I’ll never buy another ice. But in terms of a enthusiast “for fun” extra car they make a lot of sense.
💯 this. Thanks for the explanation and time. If I had to drive daily, I’d keep my new Model 3. I canceled the CT and the Rivian. But it turns out my 2014 Cayenne S is perfect for the few miles I’ll put on it. And my wife has a MX on order. Her car has always been the family hauler. So yeah, I never thought I’d go ICE again but the GT3 is a somewhat attainable dream.
Good for you about the move th Alaska and the hobbies on the side! Love Alaska. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the plans you have.
Nice to see some
Enthusiasts chime in! I think I’m going to keep an eye out for a future GT3 as a fun car. That manual won’t be around for long. I truly enjoy it for all the reasons you mentioned.

Reactions: Zer0t and coleAK
Finally ADM and 991.2 prices are dropping a bit. I think next year will be better. The only thing with the new RS is it seems to strictly be a track car. I may end up waiting for the 992.2 GT3 in a couple years.
That’s a good call. You can be confident that the car will come and not be vaporware. Deposit is actually a place in line.

Is this going to be a canyon carver or check in the box for experience?

That’s a good call. You can be confident that the car will come and not be vaporware. Deposit is actually a place in line.

Is this going to be a canyon carver or check in the box for experience?
Going to be a bit of both. Definitely for the back roads and canyon carving as well as running errands. Definitely staying in a family and a one time purchase.

Reactions: Zer0t