Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster wanted!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actively looking for a Roadster. I'd prefer a 2.0 or 2.5 but will consider very well maintained 1.5. Prefer silver or arctic blue (I live in Texas), but will consider other colors except black, white or red. Does not need to be Sport model. Anticipate purchase in October. Consider shipping costs to Texas and install of charging station when pricing.

Feel free to comment on things to look for when buying used, i.e. Ideal Miles photo, maintenance records, etc.; and how not to get scammed on e-bay, how to tell difference in 1.0 and 1.5 models, other key things I should know.

I would also appreciate other owners popping in for look-see if car not located in Texas.

Thanks for all the help and leads to my dream car.:biggrin:

I'm pretty sure the 1.0's are off the road, if they were ever sold to the public? At the moment, it may be tough to beat the cpo prices from Tesla, (if even possible). You also get a warranty excluding the battery, (except for a short period of time). I bought my car from a private party in November but if I was buying now, I'd be looking hard at the CPO cars. I believe Tesla has a lot more Roadsters for sale or maybe soon to be, than are advertised? I guess it's possible that prices now are the best they will be for a long time? Perhaps when this batch of cars is sold off, fewer will be available which could drive the prices back up?

Last edited:
Heya 'summers; I echo Pantera's comments about the CPO cars. With the warranty plus the work that Tesla will be doing before reselling the cars, I too would be looking at a CPO car if I was buying today.

If you end up looking at a private car in the Portland, OR area, I would be happy to go visit in person and let you know what I think. I've only been driving a Roadster for a few months, and I'm not exactly mechanically inclined, but I can give you an impression and at least let you know the car is real :) That can be a challenge when shopping with the country as your mall.

You should DEFINITELY look at the CPO program. Email [email protected] for a list of cars that meet your specs. Describe what you seek and they will send you info on what they have.

My wife and I just bought her a Roadster (#972, Orange 2.5 Sport with Carbon body parts and 4K miles for $88K - you would dig it, adiggs!) and the program is excellent. I asked for 2.5s in a few colors and they sent me info what they had, which was a handful of cars. I think they have had a good supply of 1.5s that were early adopers' cars, though I was looking for a 2.5. But all of the cars are selling at these prices.

A few updates to what others have said:

- They now include a 37-month/37,000 mile battery warranty as well as the bumper-to-bumper warranty. It gets added to the price, but with all the people who wanted info on battery status, they decided it is better to just include the battery warranty.

- The cars are, as others have indicated, VERY well priced - especially when you consider that you get the warranty.

- All cars come with a UMC. I think that no cars come with a top other than the factory soft top. If the car was purchased with a battery replacement, that will come with the CPO car too.

- The car will be restored to very close to new. If something is broken or wrong, it will be replaced/fixed.

- This is a one-time phenomenon, caused by Model S exchanges. They are selling cars every day and the inventory is going away quickly. They expect prices to rise once this Model S exchange glut is relieved.

- Pricing is non-negotiable. As I wrote above, they have already cut these prices dramatically, so they don't need to negotiate. It also isn't Tesla's style to negotiate. Too "dealeresque" and the opposite of how the company wants to operate. They offer a car for a fair price. You buy it or you don't. It's that simple. They have priced them fairly enough that in a short time all of these cars will be gone.

- These cars are out as loaners for people getting their cars serviced. One was crashed the other day. Poor 1001.

- While I was looking at the options over a few days, 1/3 of the cars on my list were sold and so not available for me.

- If you put down a $2,500 refundable deposit they will hold the car for you, take it out of the loaner program, and prepare it for delivery to you.

- The people in charge have been extremely busy selling these cars during this "once in a blue moon" window, but they, and Kevin in particular (the Director of the program), have been highly responsive. As you would expect from Tesla.

Honestly, this company is really doing this right, as they are so many other things (particularly of late).

Some folks have worried about Tesla not supporting the Roadster in the future. After now having gone throught the CPO buying process, I am not worried about that at all.

So if you can, carpe diem. The diem in October isn't going to be quite like this diem.

So Choice - YouTube

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, y'all been very helpful. I've looked at the CPO but they only list 4-5 on the site all over $85k. Suppose I'll have to wait till they get more inventory, lower the price or save more cash ;-) My plan has been to wait till Oct when I'll have the cash to buy one. If I jump early I'll likely have to finance a bit of a loan. For the right vehicle it may be worth it. Honestly looking in the $60k range.

Blubau I'll be in Spokane 13-14 July for conference. I know it's 300 mi from Kirkland... I arrive early a.m. 13th and will have some free time before the 1pm start if you happen to be in the area

Thanks for all the info, y'all been very helpful. I've looked at the CPO but they only list 4-5 on the site all over $85k. Suppose I'll have to wait till they get more inventory, lower the price or save more cash ;-) My plan has been to wait till Oct when I'll have the cash to buy one. If I jump early I'll likely have to finance a bit of a loan. For the right vehicle it may be worth it. Honestly looking in the $60k range.

The website (showing only 4-5 models available) is NOT up to date. I have been in discussions with the CPO group and they have shared inventory info with me. The info I received a few days ago (details include vins, colors, etc.) is that there are 22 (twenty two) v2.5 alone (not including prior models). The avg price for a 2.5 (nonsport; n=11) is $80k. The avg price for a 2.5sport (n=11) is $90k. I have been tracking for a while and these prices are about 25% lower than they were a month ago (they decided to start moving excess inventory). Lowest price on a 2.5 non-sport is $70k (twilight blue, 13k miles); Silver 9k miles is $74k.

Of course earlier models exist and are less expensive.

It seems like this is a one time bulge in inventory from roadster owners trading for model S. And with recently lowered prices you have a perfect storm for a great buy.

The new CPO manager is:

Ryan Kennedy | CPO Manager
11163 Santa Monica Boulevard | Los Angeles, CA 90025
p: 206.818.9325 | [email protected]

I am not affiliated with Tesla, but am soon to be a Roadster owner as well.

May the electric force be with you.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I did check out the CPO and the ebay listings. currently there are several 1.5s w/o hardtop going for about $60k. The 2.0/2.5 are still in the $85-110 range, upper end for the Sport special editions. Several members have also offered info on other 1.5 available. Great time for decisions!

I got beat out on Ebay today :(
So all the other offers area back for consideration.
Budget is $60k and would prefer a 2.0 over a 1.5 just because I like the interior better :) Silver exterior preferred but will consider others except red, black, or white.

It is unlikely there will be any more CPO available anytime soon. So let's make a deal!
(I'm in Texas so shipping is also a consideration)
Chris

I also am bidding on CPO roadsters on Ebay (bid on 3 out of the 4 that ended today). Was high on one, but didn't hit the reserve.

Interestingly enough, I can mirror Chris's comment ($60k and would prefer 2.0) but I like black, red and orange :)

ROADSTER PURCHASED! After a few e-bay false starts I finally got what I was looking for #302 Sliver w/hardtop
my tesla.JPG