TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster Weight

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, May 10, 2013.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I weighed my car today and unfortunately but not surprisingly it is heavier than I hoped. I used my buddy's race car scales and came up with 2790 including tool bag, floor mats, fix a flat, fan shroud and hardtop. Tesla says the car weighs 2723. Subtracting the 22 pounds for the hardtop makes for 2768, still off by 45 pounds. The heavy floor mats weigh 3 pounds total and the fan shroud might weigh 5 pounds? Giving them the benefit of the doubt, let's call those two items 10 pounds, that means we are still off by 35 pounds and the car really should be weighed with the soft top on, which would add back another 10 pounds. Have I missed anything? The scales we used were of course not certified, but I doubt they are off that much. Has anyone else out there weighed their car?

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I think a weight reduction for the Roadster could be got by decreasing the battery weight. Does anyone know if Tesla is going to update the battery for the Roadster?

3. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Elon has hinted that they plan to do something for Roadster owners next year. My bet is on a lighter, higher capacity battery based on Model S cells.

4. efxjim

efxjim Member

Drop your floor pan. You will find a few pounds of rocks wedged under there. Do you have sound proofing?

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Could Tesla weighed with the top off? Still a legal car. Tire and rims? A gallon of wiper fluid? Was it charged? There was a thread a long time ago calculating the weight off the electrons in a full battery.

6. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

I expect there are weight differences per model year. The front fascia and back air diffuser are different from 2008 - 2011. Also, did they weigh the car using the carbon fiber upgrades?

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Answer: 3.4 micrograms for Model S. How much more does a fully charged MS weigh? That comes out to 2.1 micrograms for Roadster.

Don't think that's gonna do it.

8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

2768 vs 2723? OMG, 45lbs. is close. Not like promising Model S at 4000 lbs. ...

Anyway, Car and Driver listed it at 2760, so only 30 lbs off there. Others listed it at 2790 lbs. The 2723 is for the 2008 v1 Roadster - if you've got a later one you've got more sound proofing.

Do you have the forged wheels? Which tires? This doesn't seem worth worrying about to me.

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

@djp
    A battery based on Model S cells would be good for Roadster in my opinion.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

HA ha! I was gonna let it stew for awhile.

11. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I didn't think about sound deadening, I guess that could weigh twenty or thirty pounds? My car does have the stage one kit. Does anyone know what those kits weigh?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is that it was weighed with the soft top. I don't think it would be right to weigh without it since that is the way it is sold.

12. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The sound deadening is like 20 lbs. About the weight i SHOULD lose.

13. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I'm sure you are right about the weight differences, but their literature shows the same 2723 for the 1.5 and the 2.5. It looks like they just used the old number.

- - - Updated - - -

I do have the forged wheels with the stock Yoko tires. The reason I'm doing this is to get 0-60 times for my car. I have a G-tech meter and it requires that you enter the vehicle weight.

14. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I'm curious about that too, I'm curious what's legit and what's not. I do believe it has to be weighed as if it was being sold to a customer. By the way I believe the hardtop is lighter than the soft-top. Hardtop feels like a feather to me and the softtop feels like a soggy oversized sponge!

15. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The weight is only used to calculate the horsepower measurement, you don't need it for the 0-60 time itself.

16. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

You're right, it had been five or six years since I used it and had forgotten about that. I waited probably a week until I got the car weighed before doing my 0-60 tests. I guess reading the instructions would have been helpful. :biggrin: It was fun getting the car weighed.

Thanks