TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster windshield availability

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ecarfan, Apr 14, 2017.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This concerns me. I searched TMC for past posts about whether or not the Lotus Elise windshield fits the Roadster and couldn't find any information. I assume it does not?

How much did Tesla charge you for a new Roadster windshield and install? I don't need a new windshield yet. Just got a 9mm crack (from a rock impact) drilled and filled and it is almost unnoticeable. But with about 35K miles on my car there are lots of tiny pits in the glass (just like I have had on every car I have ever owned) and someday I would like to replace it.

Thanks.

2. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

That is a great question. Availability is a concern for me too. I have had 3 small chips filled, and the next one will probably lead me to finally seek a replacement. Given all the dirt roads here in VT, it won't be long—maybe I should start looking now!

3. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

The Elise windshields will fit, the only issue surrounds the section that's open to see the VIN. I believe the 1.5's are ok, meaning they'll work but the 2.x's are not.

@MAUTO is the best to confirm this since he has experience and owns multiple version of Roadsters and has I beliave an Elise.

• Like x 1
  4. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

@MLAUTO ;)

• Like x 1
  5. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Hmmm, this sounds familiar. This was your thread too.

Windshield replacement

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 3.06.18 PM.png

• Informative x 1
  7. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Noooo.... if there was a discount, it would have been noted on the final bill as 'goodwill'. No such thing on this invoice. :)

• Funny x 1
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. That confirms my CRS diagnoses (Can't Remember *sugar*) :)

10. Roadster

Roadster Member

Perhaps check with the sellers of this car? It's near you in Walnut Creek. While it would be preferable if someone could save it (@josh-io, care to take on another project?), if they're willing to part it out, let us know so the vultures can descend. I call dibs on the inlet charging port!

11. josh-io

josh-io Member

At an $18K purchase price, it is hard to justify. $18K becomes $20K with tax and shipping. Add $30K for a new battery and we're at $50K before even starting repairs, which will probably run another $20-30K. That's $70-80K.

12. MileHighMotoring

I think the suggestion was to call the owner and see if they'd be willing to sell parts off of it.