Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster wins "Race the Runway"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it was me. No, I have no idea how I got that time. I will say that the Roadster launched like a ton of bricks and the grip was spectacular on the runway. Honestly the run did feel really fast. My later runs were 12.6 seconds, but that was after I did a bunch of fun runs for the public, and I was expecting it to be slower because the motor was hot and the pack lower.

Doug G - was this you?

Pic of his car there:
race-the-runway-65.jpg

That is strange that you could get times that quick. Did you grab a flash memory log to check the results?
Usually the Roadster is so predictable and consistent. And usually not quite that quick in the 1/4...

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the various questions:

I figured my first run would be my best, because I had volunteered to do fun runs at lunch (members of the public make a donation and get a free ride in an exotic), and that would lower my SOC and heat up the motor. As it turned out the weather was pretty cold in the morning, but very hot in the afternoon.

For the start of the first run my SOC was 82%, pack temperature was at 28C, motor 21C, PEM 37.5C. Performance mode on. Traction control off.

The 1/4 mile was timed with about a 1 foot roll-out, so no reaction time factor here. That also should have made everyone's times a little faster. In addition they measured top speed at the 1/2 mile using a radar gun, but that's not the Roadster's forte.

Some people complained about the grip in the morning, but not me. The runway had a sandpaper rough surface. It's probably lucky that I didn't bother switching in my A048's; they wouldn't have liked the cool temperatures. The AD08's hooked up beautifully and there was NO wheel spin whatsoever when I launched.

I've never drag raced before, but I've certainly been to the track. I've done this sort of acceleration, and been at these sorts of speeds before. Yet somehow this particular acceleration run felt especially exhilarating. Even so I was really floored when I was told what my time was.

Yes I downloaded the log, but it's very hard to compare the runs. It only updates once a second and of course the samples all happened at different offsets relative to the launch time.

And no, I don't have any top-secret motor upgrade or firmware hack. My car is totally stock.

Edit: Oh yeah... here are the full results: 2012 Race Results | Race the Runway. Apparently I smoked everything except the bikes.

Funny story... heard this the next day. One of the guys from Calabogie Motorsports Park had specially prepped two cars for the race. The poor guy had to tell his friends that he had the two fastest gas powered cars at the event. :biggrin:

Last edited:
...The 1/4 mile was timed with about a 1 foot roll-out, so no reaction time factor here...

OK, that is not a typical 1/4 mile measurement then. Usually the clock starts when the "tree turns green", and reaction time is a factor.
Also, the Roadster does tend to take a moment to hit its' stride. So, I think your times were better than usual 1/4 mile times because of this different approach to timing it.

Reaction Time & Roll-out

OK, that is not a typical 1/4 mile measurement then. Usually the clock starts when the "tree turns green", and reaction time is a factor.
Also, the Roadster does tend to take a moment to hit its' stride. So, I think your times were better than usual 1/4 mile times because of this different approach to timing it.

Reaction Time and a 1' roll-out (Not absolutely sure what that means but I can guess) would in no way account for a 1/4 mile time difference of 2 seconds.

I also guess that all car manufactures deduct the "reaction time" in determining the "official" 1/4mile time. People are interested in what the CAR can do - not clouding the time with human reaction time.

Thoughts?

I also guess that all car manufactures deduct the "reaction time" in determining the "official" 1/4mile time. People are interested in what the CAR can do - not clouding the time with human reaction time.

That isn't relevant, because we were comparing car-to-car, not manufacturer's specs.

You can easily get different numbers depending on the methodology. Tesla claims 4.4 seconds for the Model S Performance, but the reviewers came up with 3.9.

Other than that, I have no idea. It is what it is. Everyone had a lot of fun and we raised money for the museum.