Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster wins "Race the Runway"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel it is extremely likely that the number was not accurately measured, there must have been a timing glitch.
Without a 100mph tailwind or a 25% downslope I don't see how a Roadster could magically do the 1/4 mile more than 2 seconds faster than ever before.

I've taken my Roadster to do 1/4 mile drags, and I've seen a half dozen other Roadsters do the same on multiple occasions.
Non-sports ( performance mode on, traction control off ) consistently did between 12.9 and 13.4 seconds depending on the temperature, battery temperature, track surface conditions, and with reasonable state of charge.
I've seen sports dip down to 12.6 under ideal conditions - including a super lightweight professional driver.

I feel it is extremely likely that the number was not accurately measured, there must have been a timing glitch.
Without a 100mph tailwind or a 25% downslope I don't see how a Roadster could magically do the 1/4 mile more than 2 seconds faster than ever before.

I've taken my Roadster to do 1/4 mile drags, and I've seen a half dozen other Roadsters do the same on multiple occasions.
Non-sports ( performance mode on, traction control off ) consistently did between 12.9 and 13.4 seconds depending on the temperature, battery temperature, track surface conditions, and with reasonable state of charge.
I've seen sports dip down to 12.6 under ideal conditions - including a super lightweight professional driver.

I would have to agree.

The numbers from this Quarter Mile Calculator show the required HP and Trap speeds for a 2900 lb car and driver.

12.9 second = 239 HP to wheels and 105 mph trap speed

10.39 second = 459 HP to wheels and 131 mph trap speed

The first numbers are right in line with what I have seen the Roadster do.
The second numbers are in a whole other league!

Okay, I admit it. I paid extra to Ottawa Hydro for premium electrons. This lets you advance the motor phase timing with no risk of knocks that could damage your windings.

I had extra "D" cells in the trunk, and compensated for the extra weight by filling the rest with hydrogen.

There was a humungous rubber band wound around the rear axle.

I was breathing nitrous oxide so I wouldn't feel pain from all that acceleration.

I also lost 100 lbs before the event (boy that sure came back quickly).

Just been chatting about this amazing ss qtr time with the UK based Tesla service manager, and he states that there is another 1.5 car in the UK which feels *substantially* quicker than all other Roadsters, and they just don’t know why.

Apparently its had all the recommended upgrades, its been discussed with Tesla USA, and yet nothing changes the fact it has immense off the line acceleration - seems almost as if some aspect of the cars feedback monitoring is under/over reading allowing better performance !! However, knocking 2 seconds of the best previously recorded ss qtr time is not an easy feat.

Hmmmm ... what do I have to unplug to get this same time :biggrin: