Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadsters and Tall People

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only 6'2" and the only issue I have is getting in and out with the top on. Getting your right leg under the steering wheel is the challenge. Once inside there is plenty of headroom. While driving I sometimes use the dead man pedal or push my foot past it to stretch out a bit.

I'm 6'-4" (200 cm), and when the Roadsters were in the showroom, I just *had* to see if I would fit.

it is a small challenge to squeeze into the car seat. More so if the car top is on. But once you're in, its okay. But there is no room to spare. If you need to squirm a bit to get comfortable, you may have to do that outside. :)

Exiting the Roadster is the real challenge. With the top off, its a bit of a struggle because you can't bend your knees enough to get your foot past the door and out on the pavement. You have to sort of hold on to the steering wheel and the open door, and lift your body over a bit until your leg can bend enough to get past the door and out onto the pavement.
If the top is on, then it can get comical. The process is similar with the top off, but "limbo style." I have roll down the window, put one hand on to the open door, put the other on the steering wheel, and then lift my body up and partially out, but I have to do it keeping my head low. Finally, I'll get to the point where I can scooch one leg out of the footwell and out onto the pavement. Then straighten up and pull the other leg out. It gets better with practice. I hope your knees are in good shape.

It convinced me to forego the Roadster and set my sights on something a bit more roomy.

-- Ardie
And if you gals should wear a long slinky dress (or a short one for that matter), you might find yourself in a bit of a situation.

So, this is more of an entertainment topic for me (I'm 5' 4", so no problem), but the Roadster is a car you put on, versus one that you get into. Tesla recognized this, and published a quick video on the proper technique. It works for shorter folks as well.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Roadster has been very good for my flexibility and ability to do squats. Or maybe it's the squats that have enhanced my ability to get in and out of the Roadster. I get so confused :)

I'm 6'0 and find the Roadster to be quite comfortable.

The interesting problem I encounter is sitting in the passenger seat. Getting in and out of the passenger seat should be the mirror of getting in and out of the driver's seat, but my brain seems to have trouble with that. I also have a theory, though I haven't gotten out the tape measure to test it out, that the passenger's seat is very slightly narrower than the driver's seat. As is the passenger side footwell - I feel much more cramped sitting on the passenger's side than the driver's side.

I am 6'4" and I wanted to know from others around my size how they fit in the roadster?
If you are seriously considering buying a Roadster, you need to find a car and try it out. There are a number of variables, such as how long your legs for your height, and your strength and flexibility.

Getting in and out of a Roadster is not a simple matter. I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I would say above average strength and flexibility for my age. Getting in is not difficult (and easy with the top off) but getting out can be a challenge especially if I'm in a tight parking space and can't fully open the door.

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and adiggs
He is young, and flexible. ;)

Or as I've seen others comment before (and have experienced some of in my own life), likes driving the Roadster enough to get back in the gym and get back that strength and flexibility. To drag out that day of reckoning (the day one realizes that getting in and out of the Roadster is all done for) for as long as possible.

Reactions: markwj
A couple of years ago I had a pretty serious knee injury, which meant that I couldn't bend my left knee more than a tiny amount. To aggravate matters, while I had another vehicle that I could conceivably have driven, it's a manual transmission, which requires your left foot to operate.

I came up with a procedure where I first sat in the driver's side with my legs stretching straight out the door. I lifted myself using my hands so that my butt was in the passenger's seat and my legs on top of the driver's seat. Then I rotated my hips to move my feet under the steering wheel (all the while supporting my weight on my arms, because the center console is really flimsy), and lifted myself back over the seat.

In the early stages when I was on crutches, I then had to reach out and grab the crutches, pull them through the window and put them in the passenger's seat.

I would not recommend knee injuries to Roadster drivers. :)

• Funny
Reactions: tvuolo and dhrivnak
A couple of years ago I had a pretty serious knee injury, which meant that I couldn't bend my left knee more than a tiny amount. To aggravate matters, while I had another vehicle that I could conceivably have driven, it's a manual transmission, which requires your left foot to operate.

I came up with a procedure where I first sat in the driver's side with my legs stretching straight out the door. I lifted myself using my hands so that my butt was in the passenger's seat and my legs on top of the driver's seat. Then I rotated my hips to move my feet under the steering wheel (all the while supporting my weight on my arms, because the center console is really flimsy), and lifted myself back over the seat.

In the early stages when I was on crutches, I then had to reach out and grab the crutches, pull them through the window and put them in the passenger's seat.

I would not recommend knee injuries to Roadster drivers. :)

Now that's dedication to the cause (driving your Roadster) :)

The sacrifices we make.

Just to correct an earlier conversion.

6'4" = 193cms
6'7" = 200 & 2/3rds cms

Sorry, just had to put the 2/3's in for those used to dealing in 9/10's of a dollar for a gallon of fuel (gas) ;)

I'm 198cms = 6'6" and that's why I'm getting a MX. MS is just a little snug for me. I'm 115kgs (253 and a half lbs)