TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster's Future

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Aspirant, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Aspirant

Aspirant Member

What's the latest on the extended maintenance agreement? Is it officially dead? If so, it's hard not to see this as a Tesla strategy to give their used Roadster sales an advantage over the peer-to-peer Roadster market, or to encourage trade-ins to the S.

How are the rest of you coping with owning an out of warranty Roadster? Are you just expecting to shell out $5k here and there for a new PEM and so on? Or are you hoping that there are enough Roadsters out there to support a healthy non-Tesla ecosystem of Roadster parts and service.

Tesla ranger's are coming out soon to make their last warranty visit. Anything I should make sure they do? Can they actually do anything about a squeaky interior?

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I haven't decided what to do but I have a year before i have to decide. I don't usually buy extended warranties because the profit margin is generally quite high on such things. Better to be self-insured. But a PEM has large capacitors. They wear out. I like to work on my own cars so I'm still kind of hoping they will release manuals and sell software for people like me. I know, I'm naive...

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I sent a note a few days back, inquiring as to extended warranty status for the Roadster. I received a note saying they'd check, but have heard nothing further. I'll ping them again mid-week.

It's my understanding that there will be an extended warranty offering for current Roadster owners - separated between battery and 'rest of car'. But until something is released, it's all unofficial.

4. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Is Tesla going to announce a new battery pack for Roadster?

5. bonnie

I've heard no rumors about a new battery pack. Only that the warranty would be separate for the battery and all other things.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#6 stopcrazypp, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    For reference, here's the cost of extended service agreement (ESA) for pre-owned Roadsters from Tesla (a 1 year/12,000 ESA is included; this is on top of the original warranty if it hasn't expired):
    http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/10/used-tesla-roadster/

From what I'm reading in Aspirant's original post, it's not being offered to existing owners (only to those buying Tesla pre-owned vehicles)?

7. bonnie

If a reasonable extended warranty isn't available, I'll probably trade my Roadster in on the X.

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Various Tesla employees previously said it would be available to existing owners when they announced the pricing. Hopefully they will keep their word on that.

I'm hoping to do most of my own work on the car but that will require software and other tools be made available from Tesla.

9. bonnie

I inquired about the Roadster extended warranty for existing owners & just received permission to share:

• NY, FL & WA: Info to come in a month or so
    • NM & CT: Before year end when when service centers are opened in these states
    • OK: Not for the foreseeable future
    • All other states not listed above: The extended warranty program should be posted on Tesla Motor's website by the end of next week.

I do not have pricing information. We'll have to wait for that. I'm sure that the various states have different status because of the legal requirements associated with extended warranties. I'm guessing (don't know) that the extended warranties will be part of a prepaid maintenance package.

... they're making it really hard for me to turn in my Roadster when the X becomes available. I might have to keep it. ... Darn. ...It.

10. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

The next few Tesla models will all share the same drivetrain components and will be much cheaper to manufacture. It seems like everyone is dropping their Roadster with the Model S and Model X on the horizon. Its been a good ride for the Roadster but it looks like its days are numbered. :TAPS playing:

11. bonnie

Unlikely.

12. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

Spill the beans!

13. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

What is going on with all those "CPO" Roadsters in Menlo Park right now?
    Are they being sold as stock/original, or being offered with "upgrades" possible?

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

You have no data to back this wild speculation.

15. PRJIM

PRJIM Member

My speculation is based on this thread:

Roadster - new options

Hopefully the dates have slipped and Tesla comes through.

16. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

From what I can see just the opposite is happening. I know several Roadster owners who bought their cars with full intention to sell or trade it when the MS was available who have since changed their minds. Some of us simply fell in love with the Roadster and can't imagine selling it even though it was originally purchased to bridge the gap to a different EV.

17. bonnie

Many of us here have seen first-hand what is coming.

18. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

how many roadsters are in Oklahoma? Probably not many after the warranty expires.

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If any of you Roadster owners agree with PRJIM and your vehicle is in good condition, I'll take it off your hands for $20k. :)

20. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The future for my roadster is that I'm gonna keep on driving it, and enjoying life with it, every day.

Today, it is a beautiful car with amazing performance, even without 'upgrades'.

It may not be the most 'practical' car for me (as a father of 3 small kids), but as one owner said to me: