Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster's Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the roadster is what it is, and nothing more. It was a stepping stone along the path to an EV future, but we are well past that point now.

I don't see how Tesla can put many resources into the Roadster, and I doubt that they will. The future is Model S+X and GenIII. The past couple of years has definitely shown that.

I think the roadster is what it is, and nothing more. It was a stepping stone along the path to an EV future, but we are well past that point now.

I don't see how Tesla can put many resources into the Roadster, and I doubt that they will. The future is Model S+X and GenIII. The past couple of years has definitely shown that.

Perhaps a company (licensed by Tesla) to be their analog to the modern Delorean Motor Company (parts, service, restorations, CPOs)?:http://delorean.com/

When Joost de Vries left the company, we lost a Roadster champion.

Sure did. Makes me wonder if that was part of the reason he left - perhaps he got told they wouldn't put any more resources into it.

Who knows... maybe he'll do something for the Roadster as an aftermarket venture???

On another point, it sounds like Tesla has a glut of traded-in Roadsters on their hands. That can't be good for short-term resale value.

Given that there are still seven demos and one "new" 2011 Roadster still for sale, I don't see how they can stop supporting the Roadster.

BE PART OF IT - The Final Countdown - Page 2

Moreover, they are selling CPO cars with 37-month warranties. So obviously they have to be able to service cars and address the various maladies of car ownership. I have heard nothing suggesting that Tesla will not continue to be help us get our cars repaired to stock. And that includes battery replacement, body parts, and mechanical parts.

As for upgrades, the data tell us we have cause for concern, and particularly any new customization options.

The one notable exception is the rumored pack upgrade. I'm still confident that something will materialize there, given the multiple indications we have gotten over time. It sounds like it will be 2014, though, from Elon's obtuse reference to "something cool."

I also think Tesla is run by smart people who would not like the blowback of bailing on Roadster owners. It isn't the right thing to do and it would leave future car owners of any model worried about the same treatment as tech and models ran their life cycle.

I agree it's a bummer to no longer offer upgrades like a 2.5 front end (glad I got mine when I did!), but I think that we can generally expect continued support to the level of stock repair.

The one notable exception is the rumored pack upgrade. I'm still confident that something will materialize there, given the multiple indications we have gotten over time. It sounds like it will be 2014, though, from Elon's obtuse reference to "something cool."

This. They must release a pack upgrade, since the original cells are obsolete. They really have no choice in this. Otherwise the Roadster fleet will eventually grind to a halt, and that would look really bad on Tesla.

Reportedly the Model S pack is similar in price to the Roadster pack, despite having nearly double the capacity. Will they pass on any cost savings to customers? Or will they charge a premium, since it's smaller volume and knowing that we've got nowhere else to turn?

This. They must release a pack upgrade, since the original cells are obsolete. They really have no choice in this. Otherwise the Roadster fleet will eventually grind to a halt, and that would look really bad on Tesla.

Reportedly the Model S pack is similar in price to the Roadster pack, despite having nearly double the capacity. Will they pass on any cost savings to customers? Or will they charge a premium, since it's smaller volume and knowing that we've got nowhere else to turn?

The guy that took over for Joost is a Model S guy through and through. We will probably see lower capacity replacements (less cost) for the Roadster before we see "upgraded" packs. Sad that Joost left as I know that he had some exciting plans for the Roadster. Hopefully some of these plans still make it to the Roadster faithful.

The pack upgrade is a tricky situation. Realistically, 99% of Roadster owners do not "need" to upgrade the pack. Most owner's miles lost from the battery is in the teens if that.

If Tesla puts in the engineering work for a new battery, so few will upgrade/update NOW. Which means, by the time that we actually "need" to update the pack, the technology would be obsolete again. That's a lot of engineering effort for the ten or twenty upgrades.

So far, the upgrades has been cosmetic. So I take it that when Elon said, "something special for the Roadster owners", I'm guessing he meant something in terms of services and warranty and that sort of thing. Best case scenario, we get a new motor to further improve the 0-60 time (bragging rights mostly).

So far, the upgrades has been cosmetic. So I take it that when Elon said, "something special for the Roadster owners", I'm guessing he meant something in terms of services and warranty and that sort of thing. Best case scenario, we get a new motor to further improve the 0-60 time (bragging rights mostly).

I'd prefer something that would allow the car to maintain its power output for a longer period of time, rather than a faster 0-60.

I really, really hope the next pack they come out with has the Model S connector and is super charger capable. They owe it to their brand to do that, even if they don't make any money.

I am totally in agreement on this.

If nothing else, the PR value of taking a 200 mile range car and making it 300 miles (or greater) would be enormous... makes the improvement measurable for everybody to see, and shows the positive side of replacing a pack (i.e., improvement). What's the headline - something like: "Back to the future: 200-mile range Tesla from 2008 upgraded to 300+ miles, longest EV range on the road"?:wink:

Supercharing puts the whole brand on the same page as the nextwork rolls out.
V 2.0 socket puts charger/connector questions to bed for said network.

- - - Updated - - -

Moreover, they are selling CPO cars with 37-month warranties. So obviously they have to be able to service cars and address the various maladies of car ownership. I have heard nothing suggesting that Tesla will not continue to be help us get our cars repaired to stock. And that includes battery replacement, body parts, and mechanical parts.

Totally agree on this. While Tesla is busy fighting NADA and local franchise laws, they should be mindful of some of the arguments supporting those laws, specifically that a franchise ensures business / service continuity to support local car owners through the maladies of ownership, even after manufacturers disappear from an area or fold entirely.

If TSLA were to bail on its first model (or really any model), it would play right into the view that dealer franchises are needed 'to protect the consumer'. I don't think any of us want that...:tongue:

I want the new gear ratio. Improved 0 to 60 with a drop at top end. I could live with a 90MPH max.
It's probably a terrible or impractical idea but ask anyway. Is it possible to make multiple gearings, selectable while in Park? "CitySport" (what VFX said), "RoadsterOriginal", and "SpeedMaximize" (top speed 200mph)?

The current Roadster market feels like the housing bubble that burst and sent prices soaring downward. The market is gradually picking up as are the prices. It is a little demoralizing seeing the CPO Roadsters dramatically dipping in price which includes the extended warranty. On the other hand those of us lucky enough to own a Roadster know the thrill of driving one. Aside from the trunk size it would be great to be able to take the Roadster for a real road trip without having to worry about having to waste time charging instead of driving or having Model S supercharger envy. Hopefully 2014 will bring good news for Roadster lovers that won't come at a premium price and make all/most of us very happy. Idk Mr. Musks past history of loyalty, but with the original Tesla being a Roadster, one can hope for him doing the right thing.

The current Roadster market feels like the housing bubble that burst and sent prices soaring downward. The market is gradually picking up as are the prices. It is a little demoralizing seeing the CPO Roadsters dramatically dipping in price which includes the extended warranty. On the other hand those of us lucky enough to own a Roadster know the thrill of driving one. Aside from the trunk size it would be great to be able to take the Roadster for a real road trip without having to worry about having to waste time charging instead of driving or having Model S supercharger envy. Hopefully 2014 will bring good news for Roadster lovers that won't come at a premium price and make all/most of us very happy. Idk Mr. Musks past history of loyalty, but with the original Tesla being a Roadster, one can hope for him doing the right thing.

We will see what happens but things are not looking good at this point. Tesla was supposed to do something special for Model S Signature owners and that ended up being a tote bag. It seems as if many executives at Tesla feel that the future of Tesla is very bright and the past is to be forgotten. We all should have put our money into procuring more TSLA stock instead of buying these silly Roadsters :tongue:

What's the headline - something like: "Back to the future: 200-mile range Tesla from 2008 upgraded to 300+ miles, longest EV range on the road"?:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I fully agree Tesla can gain a lot of PR and good will by showing an upgrade path. And maybe it is just me but the 235 mile pack is enough range for most of us and if they were able to drop the weight and so now you have better handling, braking, and acceleration. That along with super charging will show that there is a GOOD future for their cars. If not I believe it will likely bite Tesla as when they begin to roll out the Gen III the initial Roadsters are likely to be dying with 8+ year first generation packs.

Every car is a stepping stone. I don't think they've abandoned the Roadster. I suspect that Tesla lost a key employee and all their engineers have been all-hands-on-deck with MS. They will take care of us. Elon knows that without us nothing else would have happened. I'm giving them more time. In the mean time, I love my roadster every day I drive it.

I am totally in agreement on this.

If nothing else, the PR value of taking a 200 mile range car and making it 300 miles (or greater) would be enormous... makes the improvement measurable for everybody to see, and shows the positive side of replacing a pack (i.e., improvement). What's the headline - something like: "Back to the future: 200-mile range Tesla from 2008 upgraded to 300+ miles, longest EV range on the road"?:wink:

Supercharing puts the whole brand on the same page as the nextwork rolls out.
V 2.0 socket puts charger/connector questions to bed for said network.

This is so true. This would help cement the idea that EV's are not throw-away cars that need to be replaced every 5-7 yrs. Some of the main advantages of Tesla's include minimal minimal mainatance and the ability to update the car via software updates. In essence the company is saying that these cars will last a long time and will not be obsolete in a few years. I would feel more assured knowing that my large investment could stay current.

You probably won't like the price target, but know that there is definitely a bottom to the market that many people (including myself) would consider buying just for the collectible aspect. Unless they crush them, the Roadsters won't be going away.