Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadsters in DC area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CruzInVA - not sure if you made a choice yet, but I had Ken's Electric, Inc. (Fairfax). Ken is a local, great guy... did a great job of installing a 40a 220 in my garage. Caveat is that he's not a guru on EV charging stations. I didn't need him to know that stuff, as I just needed a dryer outlet installed. He is fair, trustworthy, and let's just say he was about 25% of the Solar City quote I got.

Contact info for him is (703) 591-9273 (answering machine) and (703) 973-1113 (mobile).

-Rik

Thanks for the tip, Rik!

I'm still debating whether to just have the 220/240 socket put in and use my mobile charger, or go all the way and have a J1772 wall unit put in (and pick up one of The Can adaptors people are raving about). I suppose while I am paying someone to put in the socket, I could ask them to lay in the wiring for a possible wall unit if I decide to add it later.

Also, there has been discussion on the forum to the effect that you can tell whether your Roadster has the 80 amp charging firmware upgrade by checking your firmware version upon initial start up, or by making your way to it via the menus... What I haven't seen is what actual firmware version I am looking for! Anyone know?

oh, and Rik.... You have one of the clear hard tops, right? How are you liking it? Any lingering issues with fit or leaks?

Sorry to to be peppering everyone with questions... Newbies, you know... ;-)

thanks gang!
Ted

I used Belal Aljaradat of Mr. Electric in Annandale (703-719-7747)- very thorough and neat work. He also updated my grounding to meet current code, something no one else even noticed. I don't think he's the cheapest, but he certainly was very good.

When I went for my annual inspection this June, my firmware was updated to 4.6.8, which is the latest version as best I know.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

I had also asked a friend of mine who does home improvement contracting work, and he immediately recommended Autumn Electronics, so Phil will be coming by Monday to do my installation (yeah!).

So was it one of you guys I ran across in your Model S last Sunday afternoon coming down Route 7 towards Tyson's? Very cool, fun, if brief encounter. Thanks!

Btw, I was down at Katie's this morning. Bit of a lower turn out due to the weather, but still fun. Was chatting with an Elise owner who was there, and it was interesting to compare notes.

There were a number of cars there running around with VA plates, but no front plate on them. I was a little jealous, since I think the front plate is pretty unsightly. How do these guys get away with that? Or are they just tempting fate and hoping they don't get a ticket?

There were a number of cars there running around with VA plates, but no front plate on them. I was a little jealous, since I think the front plate is pretty unsightly. How do these guys get away with that? Or are they just tempting fate and hoping they don't get a ticket?

It's all a matter of time in a flashy car. State troopers can pull you over for it with no other cause. I cannot recall the amount, but it's a non-moving violation... around $100.