Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip: Am I pushing my luck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first roadtrip in the X starts this weekend -- Philly to Florida -- with four kids in tow. For various reasons, I'm leaving basically during Friday afternoon rush hour and my main north/south route will be down I-81. My question is whether I can get to Hagerstown heading west on I-76 through Harrisburg and then south to Hagerstown or if I need to route through the Newark, DE supercharger.

I think routing through Newark will add an hour or more to the trip because of traffic down I-476 then more traffic on I-95 then more around Baltimore. Ugh.

EVTripPlanner doesn't have the X modeled yet but says 73.1 kWh (422 Wh/mi) for a Model S P85D with 21" tires (I have the 22" X tires) at 1.1% speed / 45 degrees / 600 pounds. I think the consensus was that Model X would draw a bit more than the S. Trip is at EV Trip Planner. Wind forecast for Friday is currently out of the WNW at about 15 mph, which certainly doesn't help.

So, what does the collective wisdom say? Do I push my luck and head west or do I play it safe and burn the time taking the Newark / Baltimore route?

Depends exactly where you are starting from in Philly and what you mean by afternoon. If its close to 5pm, I'd probably just leave an hour later, and go down 95. If its earlier I'd go for Hagerstown. Pay attention to the estimated arrival charge, and adjust your speed to arrive with a decent buffer. Even if you have to drop to 55mph you'll still save time.