Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RoadTrip and SuperCharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went on a short road trip for the first time since getting the Tesla 2 years ago. On a 70D pulling max 230 miles range estimate from Inland Empire, California to Zion National Park.

(approx # from memory)

I rely on the fact the SuperCharger was operational. From Inland Empire to Barstow (40% left - charge to 85%), charge...to Primm Charge (30% left), stayed overnight in Vegas (charge to 100%) -> to St George Charge (25% left, charge to 85%) , to Zion (L2 Charge to 80%), back to St George Charge (charge to 85%) , to Vegas (Aria Hotel L2 Charge, 20% left, charge to 100%) to Primm Charge (80% charge to 95%), to Barstow Charge (charge to 90%), to home.

The map estimate % on arrival of designation can swing +/- up to 10%. I try not to leave the battery below 30% when hitting the SuperCharger.

Curious, anyone ever got screwed by the fact they rely on the SuperCharger being operational and to get there the whole area is down and you are stuck with less than 30% battery life, not enough to reach the next SuperCharger or barely if you turn off everything and get there with under 5%?

Wonder how reliable are the SuperCharger network given they are approx 100 - 180 miles apart from each other on road trip.

I think the lowest I had was down to 60 miles range, then went to hit the SC. But can't imagine if I was at 60 and the next nearest SC is over 100 miles away. Lol....

Is the Supercharger the only experience you have with charging on road trips? If so, then it doesn't matter. It is what it is. Until alternatives pop up you just have to deal with the situation as best as you can.

As for me, we decided to bite the bullet on a Model S because there's no better alternative now, possibly the next 3 years if not more.

Yes, it was getting stuck at a third party charger in sub-zero temps (Fahrenheit) that was the last straw.

On this road trip, pretty much. Except for L2 Charging at Aria Hotel via ChargePoint. I can't imagine what would happen if I had gotten to let say Barstow to find out the SC network was down. I can get to Primm, but it'll be very tight down to maybe 10% if that. Lol

I get until more network Sc pop up closer together, it's all on luck.

www.plugshare.com is an essential companion to road tripping in a Tesla. Level 2 chargers are slow but can save your trip. The CHAdeMo adapter we paid $450 for has amortized the cost per charge to around $40.00 over the dozen times we've used it, but it enabled us to comfortably spend time where we otherwise couldn't. And cheer up, it's only going to get easier.

On this road trip, pretty much. Except for L2 Charging at Aria Hotel via ChargePoint. I can't imagine what would happen if I had gotten to let say Barstow to find out the SC network was down. I can get to Primm, but it'll be very tight down to maybe 10% if that. Lol

I get until more network Sc pop up closer together, it's all on luck.

Back before the Tesla Supercharger network was a thing, I had my EV range calculator list all RV parks in the US with power outlets and what types they had. NEMA 14-50s aren't that bad; you don't need a full charge, just enough to get to the next supercharger.

For example, you mention Barstow: from RV Park Reviews, I see 50As at the following sites in/around Barstow:

Shady Lane RV Camp
36445 Soapmine Rd
Barstow, California 92311
Phone: (760) 256-5322

Desert Springs Camping & RV Park
34805 Daggett-Yermo Rd
Daggett, California 92327
Phone: (760) 254-2000

Calico Ghost Town & Campground
36600 Ghost Town Rd
Yermo, California 92398
Phone: (760) 254-2122

Barstow / Calico KOA
35250 Outer Highway 15 North
Yermo, California 92398
Phone: 760-904-3069

I'd have given them a call if I found myself in trouble in Barstow :) If you need, say, 30-40 miles to get to the next supercharger, that only means about an hour at the RV park.

I had been planning a long road trip in my Aptera, bouncing from RV park to RV park on a cross-US drive. Of course, since Aptera went under, that never happened...

Last edited:
We did a 9,000 road trip two years ago; there were only about 200 superchargers back then. This summer I drove back to Custer SD, having one route planned but having to improvise a different route along the way due to weather. Two years ago I was prepared with Plugshare to find alternative charging destinations. During that trip we also did a 250 mile stretch on a single charge between Lusk and Sheridan that took about 4 hours. That leg proved to me that you can get just about anywhere in the car if you slow down and drive conservatively enough. We also went to Zion, pretty much along the route you used. That was a great park and really great scenery!
My point? Sure, things happen. And as a responsible driver you need to be prepared for them. But don't let that interfere with your enjoyment of the car. Just do your diligence and either have your backup options identified or know what your resources are if you hit a problem. Then go have fun!

We just finished a 3300mi roadtrip through CA, OR, NV, and back to AZ. We made 24 different SC stops. Of those, two SC stops had a faulty station, but were able to just move to another station in the row that was functional. No location was completely down. Overall they seem to be very reliable. We also used a couple of destination chargers at hotels. I used Plugshare to check SC stops ahead of time to review notes about possible functional issues from previous drivers that stopped there.