Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip from Denton, TX to LA, CA and getting brand new Model 3

What route is best from Denton, TX to Marina Del Rey, CA?

• Northern Route, I-40

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RachH

"Christine" Model 3 Blk Obsidian, LR, AWD
Jun 28, 2018
Denton, TX
Hello all!

So excited to FINALLY be getting my car after ordering it on April 1, 2016- when it FIRST went on sale. It's been horribly frustrating and upsetting during the process (to say the least) but I am finally getting it.

And crazy enough, as soon as I pick it up, I am driving to CA.

So three main questions- that may have multiple answers:

1- Anything I should know before/when I pick up my car that will help in the process?
2- Anything I should know when driving the car for the first few times to make my life easier?
3- Suggestions on what route to take- Northern I-40 through Amarillo, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Riverside then LA or Southern I-10 through El Paso and various other southern areas then into LA?

When I look at the SC map, it looks like there are plenty along each route but since I have not driven it yet, I wanted to see what everyone thought.

We are HOPEFULLY leaving on Saturday from Texas to miss some of the main holiday traffic and getting into LA HOPEFULLY on Sunday night. Crossing fingers.

I would appreciate any insight from those of you who have a Model 3 and for those who have traveled these routes. Thank you so much in advance. It's going to be quite an adventure for the first time to travel in it after only having it a day or two. Yikes!

We also took a road trip immediately upon delivery. It was a great trip, and a good way to learn the car.

I have driven to TX several times, but not in our Model 3. I would pick the route that has the best weather.

You’ll see plenty of Model 3’s when you get to LA. Have a fantastic time.

We also took a road trip immediately upon delivery. It was a great trip, and a good way to learn the car.

I have driven to TX several times, but not in our Model 3. I would pick the route that has the best weather.

You’ll see plenty of Model 3’s when you get to LA. Have a fantastic time.

That's what I thought- great way to learn the car :)

Any tips you have for me; including how much to charge max up (I'm guessing 100% if driving immediately after) and min to run down before recharging in a road trip situation?

Sounds like a fun time! Don't worry, you should be just fine. I recommend A Better Routeplanner

Definitely make an account, so you can save previous routes. You can see for yourself exactly where you will be driving and where you will stop and charge. This is exactly the tool I am using for my upcoming cross country trip, it will tell you just how long to charge, and how long to drive. Just enter the specifics for your car so it calculates correctly.

As far as charge percentage when leaving, its not really that critical. Charging to 100% will give you a slightly longer first leg but its not required. The most efficient charging happens between 30% and 70%. Most folks daily charge to between 70 and 90%. I'd recommend starting at 90% unless the trip planner says otherwise.You can set it in the settings, I believe default is 80%.

Being a weather wimp, and having a car with all-season tires, I'd go the southern route. My route planner (EV Trip Optimizer, which takes weather into account automatically) suggests the I-10 route is only about 40 minutes more time, and in theory you'd be less likely to have weather delays.

I just recently did a similar thing when I got my 3. Austin to Las Vegas via I-40. I would suggest doing it both ways and taking all the original Route 66 deviations that you can. There was plenty of stuff going both directions. Have a blast!

Reddy Kilowatt and I parked on a corner in Winslow, Arizona behind a flat-bed Ford.

xNBdI19bnnoxZp8po4eborks58kelsqFZ2l0kDf3RfLd3FCpxcpGAvKb0u2nAPN_1JjmKF_WfuMd63dB6VxrQnypcRA6O0p8GYpWRvkwaOFQpDsYyH43dSnXmaHUVuMpicSa2sX3txauyQ3YMUPssdkYngnYn3Xv6k3fNahidCQ4eqbKtAKOAAt2kLfuxT-A0QAc7weC3NvrORj3kv8hQV6aIWL98sAoljX0rlsdf9imZWrQMZb6prcvgybbsZAAnUqh2s0HuDXclt1HY7w8rYr31C5cNe6gkUiQROxny1IfXpCURyC-szPWMEboGeYftL2vqc3fJ0jceilJCuMHhLYMYw13vku6mByDZza5Y5dubvTbYgysdCCS45DX7slTFrlCNSHMttsWulu20vPuL7wbA7bwSnVYrARlp5-AIjxAUd58asSYOGaZYVuedsclRsdQfBSqNMwk_BzIvBH_Zdf_6AeJekLT90eyoy1OyM1M9c_N4kQ47ebCaRhkbNuzvq1frAeBDHTubVcmCyFvL6zCLw-kh8snzjXJH5BhAs2B2OGHcjfYlsoCQ_Gkth_va0lKU2AZ3j5TxVydSr4wxqge4iFtLokDc6vv2ADPx5KnzeDfIL-tPhSTR6gofn86qoVKTs5iFg3UZc_gw6_FF0pPug=w1126-h845-no

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I should be more specific. This road trip is something my mom and I do annually- it's our adventure we do together. We have driven it MANY times so it's not so much about the scenery there, it's more about best route for super chargers because of the holiday and best route for weather.

From what I am reading, it sounds like the cold makes it run out of charge faster? Is that correct?

From what I am reading, it sounds like the cold makes it run out of charge faster? Is that correct?
This is correct. Not a whole lot, but something to consider, and I'm not sure if the route planners accommodate for this.

My one piece of actual advice is to make sure you familiarize yourself with supercharging before going, and make sure your account is set up and everything. You don't want to get to your first SC stop and discover that your car just won't charge for whatever reason.

That's what I thought- great way to learn the car :)

Any tips you have for me; including how much to charge max up (I'm guessing 100% if driving immediately after) and min to run down before recharging in a road trip situation?
I have about 13,500 miles on my 3 since April (much more than my previous new cars in this time frame) I have found that the sweet spot for minimizing traveling time when on a long road trip is the 80/20 rule (charge to 80% when charging and try to find the best SC location to charge from at near 20%) I do charge to 100% at every stop that is long enough (say eating a nice lunch or my wife wants to check out these stores) and I will run to below 10% if there is a more convenient SC location on route.