TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

roadway challenges

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by dtich, Jan 20, 2013.

1. dtich

dtich #P708

i've had more than a few cars slide up to me at stops, or even in the middle of the freeway, and after a moment of gawking rev and rev to get me to race them. today was a red aston martin (gorgeous) that dogged me from behind really close on my tail, i gave him a few mins to chill out before i'd had enough and punched out ahead, changing lanes (at 95 on the 101 freeway...). he was caught behind a couple cars with that maneuver, but what did i see a minute later but this red car sidle up to me and pace. the driver didn't look over when i tried to diffuse the moment and just smile... he had a VERY smug look on his face.. lol, the seriousness out there is laughable. he moved away rapidly but i didn't bite. i'm secure in my manhood, don't need to zig zag around cars endangering others..

the other day though, late evening, i had a bmw motorcycle whine up my butt on the freeway on-ramp and rev to what must have been 12k behind me. i humored him and punched out into the empty roadway making it to 90 or so rather swiftly. he roared and kept right behind and to the side of me and around 110 i let him pass, which he was gonna do anyway! s is fast, but it ain't outrunning no 1100cc bmw cycle. lol.

anyhoo. funny how aggressive ice-ers are being about this car. something to prove i guess..... :)

stay safe.

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Interested people are fine -- the ones that want to see how the vehicle performs and how it compares to the other options.

The tailgaters and dangerous ones are a different story.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

What I don't particularly like is the people who tailgate you trying to read the make of car off your bumper. I've had the same problem with the Roadster and Model S. I almost wish the TESLA logo was easier to read.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

How 'bout this?
    Tailgating1.jpg

And perhaps temporarily...
    Tailgating2.jpg

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This is my car (sorry for the angle):

IMG_1278.JPG

My plate says "N TESLA". It doesn't help.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I meant the sticker on the window that I added. Bummer that the plate doesn't help as well.

8. dtich

dtich #P708

#8 dtich, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    I need this:

signbot-2.gif

9. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

+1 dtich

nearly snarfed when I saw that.

Cheers

10. ModelS1079

ModelS1079 Member

Doug it is good you brought he car to the prison. Very nice. Or, wait, did they bring the car to you so you could visit with it?

11. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

That looks a lot like an airport to me.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

They delivered the first Sigs at a hanger at the Toronto Pearson International Airport. It kinda is like a prison. I leave nearby, and was prowling around to see what I could see and there are high fences, security gates and whatnot. Because I was not picking up a car, I chickened out when I got to what looked like a security checkpoint and turned around!

13. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Not sure if it's just new car paranoia or real, but these first few days of driving my Model S have felt like it is a serious tailgate magnet. It feels like so many people zoom up and ride my tail to check out the car. Soooo annoying, unnerving, and dangerous. Plus, I don't think they fully realize just how fast the Model S can stop and how expensive it would be to repair if they rear-ended it.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Funny guy!

That's exactly what it looks like - Toronto Pearson International Airport. They rented a hangar for the delivery event. A little bit bigger than the service center (nearby).

- - - Updated - - -

It is. Whenever that happens to me I back off on my own following distance, so there's enough time for the idiot behind me to react if something happens ahead of me.

15. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

When people tailgate a Model S, you can have some great fun. Get to where you have plenty of open road ahead of you, slam your brakes suddenly while watching the rear camera, when they get about a foot away from you as they frantically try to stop, punch that instant acceleration and zoom off about 10 yards, then repeat. They won't come near you again.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Interesting. I haven't had much trouble with this in Belluvue/Redmond/Sammamish. Perhaps it's my lead foot (acc. to the forum feedback on my kW consumption) keeping them at bay.