Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadway water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's February and pouring rain in my area. On the way to work this morning, I had to drive across a section of road that probably had 6 inches of rainwater. Is there a guideline for how much water you can drive through?

Driving through water can be dangerous, especially if you're not familiar with the section that's under water and if there's a water current. It doesn't take much for you to lose traction, where your car can be swept away.

It's best to take another route if you can, or turn around. If you absolutely must proceed, I would recommend the water not be higher than the start of the bottom-center section of the car.

That being said, your battery pack is sealed so water shouldn't be able to get in. Be safe out there!

Reactions: BeccaM3
Driving through water can be dangerous, especially if you're not familiar with the section that's under water and if there's a water current. It doesn't take much for you to lose traction, where your car can be swept away.

It's best to take another route if you can, or turn around. If you absolutely must proceed, I would recommend the water not be higher than the start of the bottom-center section of the car.

Should have been more clear. It's on a city road in the middle of town, no chance of getting swept away. The city rainwater drainage can't keep up with the amount of rain so it's filling the road. Will it damage the car (battery?) if the water reaches the undercarriage of the car?

What you also need to watch out for is driving through puddles at a decent speed. Many here including myself have had the aero shield below the car get ripped due to excess water and poor design of that part. The water quickly gets on top of and weighs down on the aero shield, which is just a reinforced piece of fabric it seems, and since it does not have proper drainage so as a result it rips.

Should have been more clear. It's on a city road in the middle of town, no chance of getting swept away. The city rainwater drainage can't keep up with the amount of rain so it's filling the road. Will it damage the car (battery?) if the water reaches the undercarriage of the car?

I hate to disagree, but those situations that you refer to are indeed when cars get washed away and people killed. You think that there is no current, but the reality is that there is often a current flow with the water going somewhere that it is not supposed to.

Lots of answers to your query. Car's will float with only a few inches of water, and a single inch dramatically decreases your friction (and stability) on the road.
Can you get the battery wet, yes. I wouldn't really suggest going above the top of the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
Funny. I had the same issue this morning.

My rule of thumb is if it's deep enough to touch the bottom of the undercarriage, I try to find another way around, if possible.

Looks like you're in Portland too. Gotta love this weather.

If we're talking about a residential road with 0 chance of being swept away... I would still be concerned about ripping the undercarriage felt. I so wish they'd just give us all a new piece...

Yep, residential road with zero chance of being swept away. Water is collecting in the low point in the road. Hopefully, the water drains by the time I get off work because there is only 1 way out and it's through the water.

It's February and pouring rain in my area. On the way to work this morning, I had to drive across a section of road that probably had 6 inches of rainwater. Is there a guideline for how much water you can drive through?

Rule of thumb....if you can touch an alligator - its too much. New Bio-hazard defense upgrade needed.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm in the Portland area too and here's what we've been noticing at our detail business...
Like mentioned above, the aero caps come off pretty easily when driving through deep water.
Also like mentioned above, the under-tray is especially susceptible to damage from bottoming out or hitting deep water at speed.
We've already been getting calls to deal with lightly flooded Tesla interiors from the Model X FWDs leaking excessive amounts and pooling water inside, saturating under the carpet, and Model 3s and Ss leaking into the trunk and building up enough water to work its way under the front carpeting. A couple Model 3s also leaking from the excessive water coming down the windshield and down the firewall area, that drain gets plugged very easily with all our pine needles and leaves around here. Usually not noticed during "normal" weather until we get this kind of continuous downpour.
I recommend Model 3 owners keeping that front drain clear and/or even enlarging the drain hole.