Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roanoke Green Car Show March 29 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

techmaven

Feb 27, 2013
The Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team of Virginia Tech and Virginia Clean Cities is putting on the first Roanoke Green Car Show this weekend. I am planning on driving out there from Richmond. Is there anyone else in the area willing to go? I'm hoping Plug Me In will go.

Virginia Clean Cities: Events

Roanokes first green car show coming to downtown | Local News - Home

Given the lack of viable charging in Roanoke for the event, I am likely staying over Friday night and charging at Virginia Tech.

We drove straight from Richmond to Blacksburg and got to the Ware Lab with 13 miles of rated range left. We met up with one of the members of the Virginia Tech Hybrid Electric Vehicle Team who graciously gave us a tour of the Ware Lab. It was terrific to see students working on their various vehicles in preparation for competition.

Welcome to the Joseph F. Ware Jr. Advanced Engineering Lab | www.eng.vt.edu

I tried charging the car at the Ware Lab and subsequently at the VT Inn, but in both cases, voltage fluctuations caused the charging to go much slower. Matter of fact, at the Ware Lab, the Schneider EVSE ended up looking like no power was running (no lights at all), but I was still getting a much slower charge. I didn't want to risk it not charging at the VT Inn which was also a Schneider EVSE and also seemed to have a significant voltage sag and then fluctuation. The car dropped charging from 30A to 22A automatically. Not wanting to chance it, I ended up charging at Kroger's nearby while it was only at 208v instead of 240v, the voltage level was rock solid at 207v and the amperage was also solid at 30A and I'm going to pick up a full charge by morning.

Tomorrow at 10am is the Green Car Show in downtown Roanoke, rain or shine.

Last edited:
Some pictures from the event:

RoanokeGCS-1.jpg
RoanokeGCS-2.jpg
RoanokeGCS-3.jpg

The Chevy Malibu in the pictures is the Virginia Tech Hybrid Electric Vehicle competition car. The team was given a standard Malibu to which they needed to modify it into a hybrid, trying to achieve production ready enhancements. They are evaluated in competition with other university competitors on a number of criteria, most of which have to do with the consumer appeal (as opposed to racing for example).

It was great talking to the budding engineers at VT and it seems many of them are destined for GM and Ford jobs after graduation.

Interest in the Telsa was of course very high. We did trip a 120v breaker, as a Leaf and my Model S didn't quite coordinate charging quite right. I didn't really need much of a charge, but it was good to get whatever I could get.

I was going to use Plug Me In's NEMA 14-50 in Lynchburg, but decided against it. I had miscalculated the buffer zone, and as it turns out we had plenty of juice. By taking the "scenic route" through Lynchburg, it is slightly shorter than going up I-81 and down I-64 plus going 5-10 mph over the speed limit is still only 55-65 mph. Psychologically, it's better than doing 65 mph on an interstate when everyone else is doing 80 mph. That mean that even though we had significant mountains and hills, doing the 210 mile hop between western Richmond and Blacksburg was pretty easy.

I ended up with on 24 miles left because we were doing 10mph over the speed limit (i.e. going along with the fastest traffic). I used less energy on the way home because it's downhill, but it was also raining.

RoanokeGCS-4.jpg

Doing about 330 watts/mile on the way out which was mid 60's temp and basically no rain but going up into the mountains. Did 317 watts/mile on the way back, about 10 degrees colder and with constant rain.

Apparently the EVSE I was trying to use at VT Inn was known to have some issues. It was a dual charger on a single pedestal and I didn't try the other EVSE and apparently that one works better. The Kroger charger was rock solid and I ended up with a full range charge. Last weekend I did a range charge for the first time in a while and got 260 miles rated range. I then range charged on Friday and got 261, but it was still lingering as I stopped it to leave for VT. At VT, I plugged in with 13 miles left, and at Kroger, I ranged charged to 264 at 208V/30A. Brand new, I had range charged to 267 and I'm on firmware 5.8.8. So with basically 5,000 miles and six months, it's hard to see any lowered range.

Good to know that if any of my kids to go VT, a single hop out with a P85 is pretty easy as long as my battery pack holds up. Hopefully Tesla Supercharges I-81 before it becomes an issue with my pack.

Last edited: