Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More detail on the Delta E4 here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/8555106/Electric-Delta-E4-at-Crystal-Palace.html.

However, as a viable electric road car the E4 shows huge promise. It fills that hole between the slightly too earnest Nissan Leaf and the cute but quirky Renault Twizy. It's a sensible, fun and good looking car with a range that makes it viable as everyday transportation.

What it needs now is investors who can take the project to the next level. In the meantime keep an eye out for the E4 at motoring events this year including the Goodwood Festival of Speed. And when you see it, take a closer look - I guarantee you'll be impressed.

Delta estimate that if they could sell 10,000 cars a year they could do them for £60,000 - probably about what a Model S will sell for in the UK.

Episode 2 of Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYYR_wG-x_E

Interesting cutaway view of the Honda FCR motor (which is electric) occurring at 1:20 or so. It is apparently a one-piece motor/transmission assembly, unlike Tesla two-piece arrangement. Llewellyn mentions shifting, but his hands don't move so I assume it's an automatic transmission.

As do Gore, Niki, and Elon. Should they ride a bike?

No but there is a very fast, mostly French (low CO2) powered, high speed rail service between London and Paris. If it's there, take it.

Everyone seems to have an excuse as to why it's ok for them to take the plane. It's hypocrisy. I'm not saying I never fly - on the contrary - but if an alternative exists I use it.

I enjoyed that episode. Mostly great & interesting.
You can see he has a lot of vision and deep thinking going on.

Couple of nitpicks:
at 11:30 "The only way to store energy is in a battery..."
(What about flywheels? Pumping fluids up hill? Super-heating salt?, etc...)

at 23:54 "In many countries electric cars can park anywhere, such as handicapped spots."
(Which countries? Isn't that unfair to the handicapped that need those wide, easy access spots?)

I particularly enjoyed the smirk in the backseat when he commented on the creative ways governments manage to come up with new taxes.

Couple of nitpicks:
at 11:30 "The only way to store energy is in a battery..."
(What about flywheels? Pumping fluids up hill? Super-heating salt?, etc...)

Using H2O, soil, atmosphere, and a seed, you could store solar energy as wood, which could then be burned later. Or better yet, you could bury the wood deep underground, wait 200 million years, and then dig it up and burn it, allowing for a higher energy density. I think we've got our high energy density storage solution right there... wait... :)