Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I could think about during that episode was:

"Wow. Eight charging stops. A Model S (with CHAdeMO adapter) could do it with one, maybe two stops".

Interesting that they seem to be deploying fast chargers throughout the UK.

Yeah, in the time it took the various industry bodies, car companies, interested parties and those looking to cream off some consulting fees to confirm a 50KW charging standard, Tesla just got on with the job and built out a network capable of hitting 135KW.

Remind me again why car charging standard are a good thing.

Yeah, in the time it took the various industry bodies, car companies, interested parties and those looking to cream off some consulting fees to confirm a 50KW charging standard, Tesla just got on with the job and built out a network capable of hitting 135KW.

Based on company behaviors, I only see two companies really interested in selling BEV cars, Tesla and Nissan. What a waste all this complaining is about ccs, connectors etc. I really hope that the i8 sells well enough to put some pressure on Tesla. We need another successful all-in electric car. Nissan is great as a low end, we need someone to push Tesla to do better, and to be there in case they fail somehow.

Of course if you have to only have one charger, high power j1772 is the only thing right now.

We do need another successful all-electric car, but that's not the i8 (unless BMW makes some big changes). It's a PHEV, not a BEV, with a 7 kWh battery (~20 miles of electric range)... people buying that car won't care much about fast DC charging infrastructure.

Okay, the accent on the backseat guy in the FFE episode is frikkin' hilarious.

Hehehe... it sounds kind of like a cross between German and Elmer Fudd in a higher range....

Interesting episode though. I like the point he made about how manufacturers can't really go on about how much better their EV is (particularly when it's based on existing platform) without cannibalising their regular diesel / petrol business lines. They're naturally conflicted. This is a distinct​ advantage that Tesla has over its competitors.

I think we need to give Nissan credit as there are 50x the number of CHAdeMO chargers in the wild as Tesla Super Chargers. I Tennessee we have 13 CHAdeMO chargers along major interstates and Tesla 0. All this while Tesla drags their feet on offering a CHAdeMO adapter. I agree Tesla's 120KW is much better than the 50KW CHAdeMO, but 50KW is FAR FAR better than the 6KW chargers currently available to Tesla owners.

I think we need to give Nissan credit as there are 50x the number of CHAdeMO chargers in the wild as Tesla Super Chargers. I Tennessee we have 13 CHAdeMO chargers along major interstates and Tesla 0. All this while Tesla drags their feet on offering a CHAdeMO adapter. I agree Tesla's 120KW is much better than the 50KW CHAdeMO, but 50KW is FAR FAR better than the 6KW chargers currently available to Tesla owners.

That is true but outside pacific Northwest and TN there don't seem to be many CHAdeMO stations between cities in the US. The adapter will still be very useful to many and much better than the J1772 options.

Please keep in mind that Nissan as a company is vastly larger with orders of magnitude more resources at its disposal than Tesla. It has also had years to build out its network whereas Tesla has been building Superchargers for only months.

I've been waiting to see this one. I loved it. Brilliant, as he would say. The only thing he missed in all the excitement is the importance of the Model S to EV history. It is really significant since it is the first car to be completely comparable to any gas equivalent. It is the very first production car to be built from the ground up to take advantage of being an EV. He took the time to discuss the battery pack and its life, however, which was great.

I was a bit disappointed in this video (maybe because I've been so eagerly awaiting it since the 2014 series promo). He didn't really review the car.

All he focused on was the performance element (though he did briefly touch on the charging aspect). What about the massive amounts of storage space (not one shot of the "frunk" in the whole video)? What about the OTA-updatable software suite? Phone app? Hidden charge-port? Soon-to-be-released RHD version?

While it was an entertaining video, it struck me as a bit incomplete.