TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Robotic Charging

Discussion in 'Cybertruck: Battery & Charging' started by hridge2020, Dec 29, 2019.

1. hridge2020

hridge2020 Member

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. xXKingMickeyXx

Just wanted to chime in quickly, with robotaxi an automated charging solution would help simplify the process of driving people around, Elon had his snake charger idea before that they showed a prototype before, then we never got it, I’m wondering if they will release that as a charging solution or if the car will simply stop driving people around once it reaches 20-30% battery and drive back home and then we (the owner) would have to charge it on our own timed. (Also just thought of this but it would be cool if driving other people around autonomously racked up supercharger credits or something similar per mile)

3. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Active Member

Does not make sense to me.

Why not have the autonomous car plug in to the charging spot and remove itself to a non-charging spot when done.

Charging a battery from a battery does not seem efficient. Running wiring along the ceiling of a parking garage does not seem prohibitously expensive.

4. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

He did say during Autonomous Day that the snake charger is a "done deal," with the only caveat being that you don't want to bend over in close proximity to it. ;)

I think he's waiting to roll them out until full autonomous driving hits. Why spend the money now? At least they have the tech ready to go when the appropriate time comes.

5. ThomasD

ThomasD Member

Will it fit between two cars How well will it work covered in ice and snow I would want to test it in the real world first Put some at superchargers in different parts of the country. Let the car owners try them out to make sure the can handle the environment they are put in