Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chip and crack in windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have clearplex on my MS. It's fantastic! I've got several dings in the plastic but none of them got to the glass. With a $1200 windshield the $375 was well worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

'Most' places that do xpel (yes a different brand but still ppf) will do the install.
Thanks for the info, I assume that it will not interfere with the auto windshield wiper system.

@merrill
I've had it on my MS since February of last year and it hasn't interferred with anything! And I live in Seattle so my wipers definately get a work out!

Mother only downside is that you can't use rainex or aquapel on it but they have something called clearex that they put on every 3 months that works the same.

The only time I even know I have the film on the windshield is when I wash the car and then I can see it otherwise it's 100% unnoticeable.

@merrill
I've had it on my MS since February of last year and it hasn't interferred with anything! And I live in Seattle so my wipers definately get a work out!

Mother only downside is that you can't use rainex or aquapel on it but they have something called clearex that they put on every 3 months that works the same.

The only time I even know I have the film on the windshield is when I wash the car and then I can see it otherwise it's 100% unnoticeable.
Thanks Alysashley, do you see any marks or scratches on it. On some forums a few have complained that eventually you will see marks and scratches from the wipers, although in California the weather is not very harsh. I'm Very OCD on having a super clean windshield at all times.

I had ClearPlex on my P85 and after two years it still looked new, except for a few nicks where it probably saved me from a crack.

No wiper streaks or scratches. But, I was good about washing the car regularly, including the wipers, and applying the ClearEx. It goes on like a liquid car wax. I also took car to not run the wipers when the windshield was dry.

One thing to note, while Clearplex is remarkably clear, it did impart a slight visual distortion best described as thin, horizontal banding with some ghosting of bright light sources (traffic lights, tail lights) at night.

Not enough to be a distraction or make me want it removed, but enough that I'm probably going to pass this time around on the P85D (famous last words ;-) ...)

I wonder if the ClearPlex film would distort the autopilot camera's view
through the windshield?

Looking directly through the window, it might appear that there is no distortion,
but the front-view camera is located in the mount of the rear-view mirror, and
its view is through the very slanted glass at the top of the windshield.

It might be necessary to avoid putting the ClearPlex over that trapezoidal area?

I wonder if the ClearPlex film would distort the autopilot camera's view
through the windshield?

Looking directly through the window, it might appear that there is no distortion,
but the front-view camera is located in the mount of the rear-view mirror, and
its view is through the very slanted glass at the top of the windshield.

It might be necessary to avoid putting the ClearPlex over that trapezoidal area?

Ah, right, yes - that was my other concern. Leaving a cutout over the trapezoidal area would work, but then you create edges for the wipers to catch on as they sweep past that area.