Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chip in all glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got hit with a rock from a truck yesterday and it created a pretty large chip in the front of the all glass roof (not the windshield but the roof itself). Assuming I need it replaced, any idea what the replacement cost of the all glass S roof would be at an SC?

I know it won’t help now that it’s happened but PSA. Imhad my car covered head to toe with PPF and CeramicPro Gold. My installer recommended he put the PPF on the all glasss roof as well. I know I would be in ghe OP position if I hadn’t done that. 1 month after the install I saw it happen as if in slow motion, a rock bouncing from a gravel truck came down 4 inches from the front and went BAM!! I didn’t even want to look up. When I got out I looked and there was a little place just like PPF does anywhere else a rock hits but no damage to the glass at all. Highly recommend if you are having a full body wrap.

It’s not just the money for replacing the all glass roof it’s the thought of someone removing such a large structural part of the car and “getting it right” replacing it.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
I know it won’t help now that it’s happened but PSA. Imhad my car covered head to toe with PPF and CeramicPro Gold. My installer recommended he put the PPF on the all glasss roof as well. I know I would be in ghe OP position if I hadn’t done that. 1 month after the install I saw it happen as if in slow motion, a rock bouncing from a gravel truck came down 4 inches from the front and went BAM!! I didn’t even want to look up. When I got out I looked and there was a little place just like PPF does anywhere else a rock hits but no damage to the glass at all. Highly recommend if you are having a full body wrap.

It’s not just the money for replacing the all glass roof it’s the thought of someone removing such a large structural part of the car and “getting it right” replacing it.

I’m having my Model 3 full body wrapped when it arrives in a couple of weeks. I came to this thread to ask if wrapping the roof would be prudent and you’ve just answered my question. Thanks!

I wanted to do that but a wrapper said he wasn't sure if the glass would expand and contract differently causing problems. What kind of climate do you live in?

I wanted to do that but a wrapper said he wasn't sure if the glass would expand and contract differently causing problems. What kind of climate do you live in?

I live in Atlanta GA. Winters get in to the low single digits and summers over 100 Fahrenheit not Celsius lol (extremes but that’s the last year for us). No problems at all. Side note, PPF makes keeping the glass roof looking great as well because you can use any cleaner / polish / wax you would use anywhere else on your car and water beads off and washing is sooo easy.

My installer just responded to my query regarding XPEL on the all-glass roof and he said that XPEL can't be put on glass. That seems odd to me. Is that something unique to XPEL or is he misinformed, do y'all think?

My installer uses SuntekPPF. It has performed perfectly over the last year. 3-17 thru 3-18. (Atlanta Grorgia). Lows of near -0- to highs over 100 and no issues. So glad he installed it on my all gods roof. Protection and super easy to maintain Ask another installer in your area just to be sure you are not getting misinformed.