TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rock Chip in Glass Rood

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by azpyroguy, Mar 26, 2017.

1. azpyroguy

azpyroguy Member

Just barely 72hrs into ownership and less than 200 miles driven, on my way home I hear the unmistakable thunk of a rock hitting glass.

It hit on the leading edge of the sunroof.

It seems like its not going anywhere as its about a dime size half of a bullseye.

Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket...

Nice way to end what was a good weekend.

Attached Files:

2. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Oh what bad luck. I feel for you as a new owner ourselves. I will say that you are not the first person I have heard of having this happen to them. You might want to search for rock chip and roof to see what other posts have been made. Possibly someone on one of the other threads has some advice on what to do. I think someone mention repair cost on theirs and maybe insurance coverage.

3. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Here's the thread I recalled reading before: Pano Roof Cracked! Hope your chip doesn't get worse like the OP's did.

4. Nikki's Dad

Nikki's Dad Supporting Member

Check the coverage under your auto insurance policy. The windshield of my S got hit about a month ago. Tiny crack. Cost ~$1200 to replace. Fully covered by insurance (i.e. no deductible).

5. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

I feel your pain. On one of my first Tesla trips mine got dinged on the hood with a rock. Funny thing is I've driven 13000 miles since then and no additional dings. Hopefully insurance will take care of that for you.

6. rfinn

rfinn White Lightning

Check with glass repair company they can inject something in under pressure that will keep it from spreading. I had smallchip years ago in wife's car and it didn't spread.

7. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

Ouch. That's a terrible place to take a hit... there's not much they can do to it on the edge of the panel like that.

I took a hit to my all-glass roof a couple months in, had an auto glass place come out and they repaired it the same way they would a windshield, injecting some resin to keep the crack from spreading. Holding up well so far.

8. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I also recently discovered a rock chip on the leading edge of my 2013 S's sunroof... hoping a glass repair company can address this?

sunroof-glass-chip.jpg