Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock Chip on Windshield (in Bay Area - CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I am in the bay area, Today driving on 680 I got a windshield rock chip, Luckily I have Geico mechanical coverage so that gets me a replacement glass for $50 bucks. Only problem is I was at Tesla Dublin Service center and they stated they do not deal with glass replace or repairs. So they pretty much told me go to Safelite AutoGlass.

How-ever upon going to SafeLite Autoglass in Concord CA they stated they cannot Order Glass thru Tesla hence cannot get it to replace the windshield.

So After calling Geico I was pretty much at my own finding a company which can do a replacement of windshield on the Model 3.

Finally Found a company in Oakley CA . Auto Renu Auto Glass

I was wondering if someone in the bayarea has any experience dealing with them or any other company and geico.

Hope they do NOT charge me anymore than $50 since in the email they stated the do NOT pay more than $40/ hr on Glass replacement and not for OEM parts I guess Model 3 Glass is only OEM for rite now and That is the only one I will want anyways.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with Geico or any glass company in the Bay Area..

Thanks! :( Bummer I did not even go thru my first was and got a rock chip :( Only 800 miles so far..

If the chip is smaller than a quarter and hasn’t spread, you can get it filled for next to nothing. Done three so far on my model S - two in the windshield and one in the glass roof. All holding strong more than a year later.

Thank you everyone it is just a bit bigger than a quarter and even after a fix they said it will leave a dot and might even interfere with line of sight that is why I am trying to get it to replace all together.

For replacement should I watch out for anything like when they are going over auto pilot camera no dust gets inside and stuff like that while replacing windows ? Even though the guy has said he has done some Tesla in the past.. But not a Model 3 ..

His Yelp reviews are 5 start that does look promising that is the reason I hired him to do the job ..

https://www.yelp.com/biz/auto-renu-auto-glass-oakley-4

Just for future reference in case anybody in the South Bay needs glass service...

I've had Golden State Auto Glass and Tinting (Koll Circle, San Jose) replace at least four windshields over the last 10 years or so (3x for Honda Odyssey, once for BMW 323i). Good service, good work. A couple of times they did mobile service (home, work) but I''m not sure if they still offer that option.

Just for future reference in case anybody in the South Bay needs glass service...

I've had Golden State Auto Glass and Tinting (Koll Circle, San Jose) replace at least four windshields over the last 10 years or so (3x for Honda Odyssey, once for BMW 323i). Good service, good work. A couple of times they did mobile service (home, work) but I''m not sure if they still offer that option.

I've had Safelite fix 2 chips on my 3 already and they told me only Tesla can do the replacement. They wont provide the glass to non authorized repair shops.

I've had Safelite fix 2 chips on my 3 already and they told me only Tesla can do the replacement. They wont provide the glass to non authorized repair shops.

I was actually at Satellite location in Concord CA and I had Tesla Service Center From Dublin CA on the phone with me they were ready to send the Windshield to them however Satellite Receptionist told me since they do NOT have a corporate account set with Tesla they still would not do the replacement because of billing and stuff. I think it is more of a SAFELITE issue than Tesla.

Because They told me the same thing first when I got on the phone with Tesla Dublin center and Customer service at Tesla Ready to send out the replacement glass Safelite still refused for a replacement because of the Corporate don't have account setup with Tesla

Really? Safelite can do the camera swap to new glass? Don't they need all sorts of alignment stuff? Like when you install a Mobileye in your car? Or a reset of the Model 3's calibration? I totally thought the glass was installed by Tesla after a crack.

I got my first star on the windshield on my very first trip after I got the car in March. Been staring at it this whole time, but I DON'T have Geico, and AAA doesn't cover glass like they should.

-Randy

Progressive here. I paid the bill, Progressive reimbursed me with a check, minus my deduction.

Had a rock chip, filled, but too big and spider legs visible after work. Safelite could do the replacement, but if anything down the road came up regarding the windshield, Tesla service stated the warranty would not cover it due to 3rd party install. Also, if 3rd party did it, you still need to take it to Tesla service to calibrate the cameras. Should save time just having Tesla service do the install.

Mind you, the Westmont, IL service center experience on this was the absolute worst in my history of owning a car. Needed a full polish just to remove most of the marks they left on fenders, hood and doors, not to mention they left the interior dirty and chipped paint off my hood I had to use touch up paint to fix.

Progressive here. I paid the bill, Progressive reimbursed me with a check, minus my deduction.

Had a rock chip, filled, but too big and spider legs visible after work. Safelite could do the replacement, but if anything down the road came up regarding the windshield, Tesla service stated the warranty would not cover it due to 3rd party install. Also, if 3rd party did it, you still need to take it to Tesla service to calibrate the cameras. Should save time just having Tesla service do the install.

Mind you, the Westmont, IL service center experience on this was the absolute worst in my history of owning a car. Needed a full polish just to remove most of the marks they left on fenders, hood and doors, not to mention they left the interior dirty and chipped paint off my hood I had to use touch up paint to fix.

I did call the Tesla service and Dublin CA Tesla service center and also the Approved Auto Body Shops They All said they DO NOT do the Glass replacements Even I find that strange and all stated I need to go to any glass company and get it replaced they will provide the parts. :(

Really? Safelite can do the camera swap to new glass? Don't they need all sorts of alignment stuff? Like when you install a Mobileye in your car? Or a reset of the Model 3's calibration? I totally thought the glass was installed by Tesla after a crack.

I got my first star on the windshield on my very first trip after I got the car in March. Been staring at it this whole time, but I DON'T have Geico, and AAA doesn't cover glass like they should.

-Randy

I had my windshield replaced by Tesla. I don't think they had to do any calibration afterward. I don't think it is a "must do" thing; more like an "as needed" thing. When I talked to the service guy on the phone, I asked them to make sure the camera is calibrated after the replacement. His response was something like, "Yeah, we will test out the autopilot on the way driving the car back to you."

I guess if the windshield is replaced by Safelite, and AP is off afterward, one will have to make another appointment with Tesla to recalibrate the camera. My insurance actually processed thru safelite and they scheduled 2 appointments. One for the replacement and one for the calibration.

I had my windshield replaced by Tesla. I don't think they had to do any calibration afterward. I don't think it is a "must do" thing; more like an "as needed" thing. When I talked to the service guy on the phone, I asked them to make sure the camera is calibrated after the replacement. His response was something like, "Yeah, we will test out the autopilot on the way driving the car back to you."

I guess if the windshield is replaced by Safelite, and AP is off afterward, one will have to make another appointment with Tesla to recalibrate the camera. My insurance actually processed thru safelite and they scheduled 2 appointments. One for the replacement and one for the calibration.

Awesome That your service center was able to do the installation. Here at Dublin CA service center They are refusing to do any work on windshield either repair or replacement.

So I am going with a third party but all OEM parts how-ever my main concern was the camera needing calibration so that kind of put me to the ease already knowing that it is not must.

Also spoke to the guy at Auto Renu Auto Glass who is doing the installation out of Oakley CA he said it does NOT require it either plus he is not going to unplug any cameras don't know what he means by that.

Anyhow the appointment is tomorrow will let you know how it goes.

If there is anything I should be watching out for please let me know. Thank You everyone !!

Also spoke to the guy at Auto Renu Auto Glass who is doing the installation out of Oakley CA he said it does NOT require it either plus he is not going to unplug any cameras don't know what he means by that.

I don't know if they need to "unplug" it but they do need to detach it from the old windshield and put it on to the new windshield. I think that's the reason for the recalibration. If the camera is not 100% at the same location, the AP could be off because it was calibrated originally for the position on the old windshield. Mine was fine after replacement, but I have read on here that some people said their AP was off by like 1/2 foot centering on the lane after replacement and had to be re-calibrated. So just check AP after the replacement and contact Tesla for recalibration if needed!

I don't know if they need to "unplug" it but they do need to detach it from the old windshield and put it on to the new windshield. I think that's the reason for the recalibration. If the camera is not 100% at the same location, the AP could be off because it was calibrated originally for the position on the old windshield. Mine was fine after replacement, but I have read on here that some people said their AP was off by like 1/2 foot centering on the lane after replacement and had to be re-calibrated. So just check AP after the replacement and contact Tesla for recalibration if needed!

Thank You Will explain to the tech tommorow once he arrives. that he understand that how the camera needs to be 100% at the same position there or will need to be recalibrated. I wish if Tesla Service center would handle all the replacment would be so much better :(