Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chip, should I be worried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talkingevs

GO AVS! 2022 CHAMPS!
Jan 28, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
While taking my kids to school this morning I heard something loud pop but didn't see anything. When I got home, I found this chip in the windshield near the edge. It looks bad but the spider marks barely extend into the viewable area.

1) Does this have to repaired or replaced if it doesn't spread at all?

2) What are the costs without insurance (my deductible is high and don't want my monthly amount changing)?

3) This is our third rock chip and most serious we've gotten. Why is the model 3 so prone to rock chips?

4) Can Safelite replace the windshield or does Tesla have to do it? What cost?

Attachments

• 20201109_075948.jpg
    20201109_075948.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 318
  • 20201109_081256.jpg
    20201109_081256.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 214
1. Try to get it repaired. If it can’t it’ll probably need to be replaced at some point.

2&4. Call and ask. Insurance should be through comprehensive so shouldn’t effect your premium.

3. Big windshield and bad luck. Not like the Model 3 has special rock chip and flat tire attractant properties.

1) If the chip speads/cracks outwards I would repair - yes.
2) Depends on company and state. In FL we get 2 replacements per calendar year - free.
3) Lower quality glass. My Tesla cars have suffered way more chips than my other cars.
4) Depends on local installer.

Most definitely have it fixed. It's only $60.

The Model 3 is low, with a low nose, and a huge windshield. It's going to get more hits. More hits means more breakages. The glass is the same as in my BMW. Saint-Gobain Sekurit is probably the biggest supplier of auto glass in the World.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
A bit off topic, but do tints hinder the glass repair process?

Yes, but not prohibitively so. My windshield is "tinted" with the virtually clear stuff that blocks UV and IR and when I had a rock chip repaired the guy was about to use a small torch to finish curing the goo that he had forced into the chip. I pointed out the tinting on the inside and suggested that he probably didn't want to apply a torch to the windshield. He sheepishly agreed. He said that the repair would still cure, it would just take longer to do so.

Yes, but not prohibitively so. My windshield is "tinted" with the virtually clear stuff that blocks UV and IR and when I had a rock chip repaired the guy was about to use a small torch to finish curing the goo that he had forced into the chip. I pointed out the tinting on the inside and suggested that he probably didn't want to apply a torch to the windshield. He sheepishly agreed. He said that the repair would still cure, it would just take longer to do so.
The cure is done by UV... So I have not seen a flame being used

Reactions: Tron 3 and XLR82XS
Had one in almost exact same location. It quickly spread. Bumpy roads and/or difference between outside and in car temp seems to have hasten the crack spreading. Most places won’t repair if ding has any spider cracks coming out. i drove with it cracked for months (months long road maintenance/upgrade in our neigbhorhood). My wife’s Kia Niro EV also suffered a cracked windshield.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
All the answers to the other (not fix vs replace) questions are scatted around in the various glass damage and windshield replacement threads.

The frontal area and aero-dynamic desig of the car, coupled with the low hood line form a clear path to the giant convex piece of glass that forms our windshields (so much of it is hidden under the trim, its at least 20% larger than the section you look through).

Model 3s and sadly even the Model Ys are therefore indeed rock and sand and any/all debris magnets.

Couple some relatively high speed ill-maintained highway driving with environmental factors such as living near oceans or deserts or mountains and pitted, nicked, sand blasted or scratched windshields are just a question of time.

While taking my kids to school this morning I heard something loud pop but didn't see anything. When I got home, I found this chip in the windshield near the edge. It looks bad but the spider marks barely extend into the viewable area.

1) Does this have to repaired or replaced if it doesn't spread at all?

2) What are the costs without insurance (my deductible is high and don't want my monthly amount changing)?

3) This is our third rock chip and most serious we've gotten. Why is the model 3 so prone to rock chips?

4) Can Safelite replace the windshield or does Tesla have to do it? What cost?

you're lucky... totally fixable and it's in the "black" non visible part of the windshield. I might even do a DIY repair with a $10 repair kit as it wont be visible. better than waiting and driving around with it.