Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chip, should I be worried

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safelite came out via Geico and filled it in. Can only see the spider webs at some angles of sunlight but overall looks great. They are charging Geico $60 for it but I don't pay a penny. I can breathe a sigh of relief.....now if only this paint didn't scratch and swirl so easily lol

Reactions: Leeclanual
Safelite came out via Geico and filled it in. Can only see the spider webs at some angles of sunlight but overall looks great. They are charging Geico $60 for it but I don't pay a penny. I can breathe a sigh of relief.....now if only this paint didn't scratch and swirl so easily lol

How about some follow-up photos so we can all see the before and after?

Still tempted to install clear windshield PPF style protection.

PPF unfortunately isn't designed to go onto a windshield, that is why we have a windshield-specific film. It is "tougher" than what is needed on paint and works better with wipers. I'm also not aware of any PPF that has been shown to be clear enough to legally go onto a windshield in the US. The flip side of that is that our film couldn't work as PPF, it wouldn't be possible to shape it to the more complex curves that PPF needs to fit, also PPF can be self healing, while no self healing film is tough enough to provide much protection to the windshield

You can get it rock chip repaired at most auto glass shop for around $50. It will prevent it from further cracking otherwise you will have to replace the whole windshield. You should get it done ASAP.

I got mine done and it’s a very slight dot in the windshield and you can’t really tell that it was chipped.
yes yes, agree. My neighbor had a chip similar to that one in almost the same area on his X. He said he checked Safelite and they quoted him $140. I went with him down to the local auto glass repair shop and they did it for $45. I remember them saying they were concerned about doing it so close to the edge, but it worked.

I say you definitely want to get this fixed as quickly as possible. Shock, vibration and wide temperature changes can cause that to spread quickly.