Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock chips on trunk lid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

supersnoop

Tesla Roadster #334
Mar 24, 2014
Pflugerville
I'm curious if anyone has found any rock chips in the paint on your trunk lid, either in the center or over the wheels?

Long story short: my trunk was sanded, the paint was blended, and the entire thing was clear coated. Afterwards, I found some small defects, both over one wheel and in the middle section, which I had not t previously noticed. The insurance and body shop are trying to say that these are pre-existing damage, but I can't imagine a scenario where rocks could come in contact with the trunk lid during normal operation. I'm the kind of guy who knows every inch of my car, so I'm pushing back. Has anyone found rock chip damage on their trunk? It just doesn't seem reasonable to me.

I'm not sure why you had the trunk repainted, but Its easy to tell if the chip was there before or after the repaint. If the clear coat is chipped you can see the edge of the clear, which would be after the repaint. If the clear smoothly flows down into the chip and no edge is visible, then the chip was there when the repaint was done, and the bodyshop overlooked fixing the damage before the repaint. I have seen chips and minor damage on all surfaces of vehicles, so I guess you just need to determine when it happened.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak