Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rock hit windshield -> Large chip/small crack -> Long crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine chip all the way across in the 2nd week of ownership. Price of the glass seems right in line with mine. They sell to the sub. Sub adds the cost of labor and give you one bill.

Labor seems double. I called my insurance who dealt with it. Not realizing insurance was already on the claim, I too called the sub-contractor. The price they quoted me was ~300, and for the insurance company they quoted ~150. Sorry - didn't keep the receipts to be more precise. I'd call your agent and have them deal with it.

The sub cam to the service center and did the work in their driveway.

Interesting but this was the precise explanation they sent me via email:

For windshield replacements, Tesla sublets the work to our preferred professional glass removers (All Star Auto Glass). We schedule them to come on site to replace the glass at the same time as your service appointment for your convenience. Tesla does not work with insurance companies however, and collects payment at checkout. We will provide you with a copy of the invoice and owners then submit a claim to their insurance. In the meantime I will work with our parts department to order your glass and provide you an estimate.

I'll give my insurance company a call but I don't think there's any special they'll do.

Mine got hit on the 4th day I had it. (A Saturday ) I emailed Tesla on Monday. They replaced in on Tuesday. Original quote was $1,100. When the finished they said the install went faster than anticipated and the final bill was $648.
I was one happy camper. No insurance. Just Cash.

By comparison, a Prius windshield (including labor) costs less than $300.
more like $80

- - - Updated - - -

Mine got hit on the 4th day I had it. (A Saturday ) I emailed Tesla on Monday. They replaced in on Tuesday. Original quote was $1,100. When the finished they said the install went faster than anticipated and the final bill was $648.
I was one happy camper. No insurance. Just Cash.
that is a very good price!

Yes, it can only be purchased from Tesla and costs over $900. With install costs, its over $1200. For those in the PHx area, Blue Chip Glass is the company that Tesla has do all their warranty replacements (and apparently there were a few). They've done windshields for over 6 MS'.

Mine will be covered by my insurance but through comprehensive with my deductible. When I switched carriers for the MS, apparently I missed signing up for glass. (Damn gecko online system) not sure of they would have covered it fully if I had the glass waiver. Though I cant imagine Why they wouldn't have. Not my fault the glass is so expensive!

I did her that the windshield was redesigned at some point due to the common cracks. Not sure if mine was prior to or after the redesign. Tesla here in PHX has them in stock.

Curious. Did you get the whole windshield replaced? I'm assuming you did since you went through your insurance. I just got a big chip in mine driving on the 101. Would it be worth trying Blue Chip first?

Just got a crack from from a small rock at 8500 miles. The sad thing is my Prius just hit 202K miles on the original windshield and has been hit by dozens of pebbles of similar size. You can see 50+ little marks with an oblique light where that windshield has been struck over the years. But not a single one turned into a crack.

It's getting repaired now(hopefully it won't show much). Just for kicks, I went to safelites website and did an online quote. It was $1898.95. But I know from experience they only charge about $100 in labor if you supply your own windshield. Is $500 Tesla's cost of the part?

Last edited:
Just got a crack from from a small rock at 8500 miles. The sad thing is my Prius just hit 202K miles on the original windshield and has been hit by dozens of pebbles of similar size. You can see 50+ little marks with an oblique light where that windshield has been struck over the years. But not a single one turned into a crack.

It's getting repaired now(hopefully it won't show much). Just for kicks, I went to safelites website and did an online quote. It was $1898.95. But I know from experience they only charge about $100 in labor if you supply your own windshield. Is $500 Tesla's cost of the part?
Had my windshield replaced at the Tesla Service Center for $800.