TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rock in between rotor and shield, help!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Nov 11, 2016.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

after driving on a gravel / stone road I heard a metallic screeching sound that screeches at low speed and tapes off at high speed. After doing some research it appears I have a rock in my rotor shield scraping off the rotor. I'm 196 miles from a service center. Should I take it to a local mechanic? Are the giant lifts it the shops pretty standard and wouldn't have any difficulty with the lift points? And are the lift points similar to other vehicles? No one in my area has ever worked on a tesla before.

2. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

I have used local shops for basic things like tire/wheel changes. The lift procedure is pretty straight forward. There are 4 lift points under the car which must be used to avoid lifting on a portion of the battery cover and potentially damaging the pack. Using a hockey puck at each point to lift seems to be a good way to prevent the lift arms from damaging the underside of the car (which would likely only be cosmetic scratches in a hidden location but, you know, it's a Tesla!).

Also if you have air suspension, put it in jack mode (or show the shop how to put it in jack mode) before lifting.

Good luck!

• Informative x 1
  3. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

There is one page in the Owner's Manual you can print and take with you that explains in great detail how to lift Model S.

• Informative x 1
  4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Shouldn't even need to take it to a mechanic, just jack up that corner pop the wheel off and fish the rock out.

• Like x 1
  6. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I'm nervous about it lol. If they can't get someone to me maybe I'll go buy a jack and try it

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My first thought when reading your post was you were referring to the "rotor" in the motor. Then I quickly realized you were talking about the brake rotor. Whew. :)

You can possibly fix it yourself if you have an adequate jack and a breaker bar to get the lug nuts off. But if you are not comfortable trying that you will have to drive it to a shop. Your brake rotor may need to be turned if it is damaged. That could take time. Be prepared.

8. steve841

steve841 Active Member

LOL (SORRY) ... I told ya what is was!

You can take do the work yourself. It was a pain in the ass but a thin long screwdriver or preferably some stiff plastic utensil may work.

9. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I have a trusted family mechanic who said he shouldn't have any jacking it up and getting it out. I hope that is all that's wrong!

10. tfinan

tfinan Member

This happened to me (on the front left rotor) the first day I had my car. In the event this may help you, the gravel worked itself loose later that day while making a left hand turn while facing uphill.

• Informative x 2
  11. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

My mechanic or it loose IMG_20161111_134925_199.jpg

• Like x 1
  12. tfinan

tfinan Member

Glad they are out. Good news!

• Like x 1
  13. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Glad you got it out. And that's really interesting there were two, not just one, pieces of gravel - they don't look as though they even were broken halves of each other. ¿Making wheelies in a gravel pit, were we? :)

FOR OTHERS WHO ENCOUNTER THIS:

A standard First Attempt in such a situation is to drive in REVERSE for a length of time, fishtailing left & right as much as possible.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Oh man, I just this once. It was the worst sound ever. I ended up working it out.

• Like x 1
  15. cab

cab Member

Glad to hear you got it sorted. For future refernce, I picked up a bottle jack and lug wrench to carry in the car. I also bought a 21mm socket as the one that came with the wrench was standard size and mangles the cheap tesla "covered" lugs (I really need to swap to the Gorillas).

jack
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UAOJHRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wrench
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMJ2KU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need a jack pad of some kind. Most off the shelf ones are designed for the pinch welds whereas you need a preferably rectangular block of some kind. I just cut a piece of wood that shape and cut/ epoxied a couple pieces of 1/16" or so steel to it...I actually did all this yesterday and used it to swap out all 4 of my 21s for my 19s today. Worked like a champ and better than lugging my hydraulic roller out!

• Informative x 1