TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rock off a Truck put a BIG Stsar in my Windshield

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Brunton, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Brunton

Brunton Pontificating the obvious

How much does it cost to install a replacement windshield (ballpark) in a model S anyway?

And so I have to take it to a Service Center, or can any windshield place do it (like Safelite, for example)?

Oops! Typo in the title. Sorry 'bout that...

2. daniel

daniel Active Member

Check with your insurance company. As a safety item, they may pay for the replacement. (I don't know whether you need to go to a Tesla SC or whether a generic auto glass company can do it.)

3. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I think in most states it's a law that the insurance must pay for replacement without any deductible. Check yours. I would rather have Tesla do it than someone else. Depending on your model, remember there's sensitive stuff in the rear view mirror housing that they will need to deal with in replacing the windshield.

4. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Should be covered under comprehensive glass.

5. BorisS

BorisS New Member

I also was greeted by a rock to the windshield while driving through Charlotte in October. :( Per Jrogville's reply above, I had the windshield replaced at the West Palm Beach SC. Cost was $1,306, which was fully covered by insurance as my Model S was less than 1 year-old. Please note that the new windshield had a slight rattle/squeak just to the left of the rear view mirror, so I went back to the SC and they added some insulation behind the headliner. All good now. Wishing you the best!

6. energy7

energy7 Member

Is there some sort of 1 year coverage on the windshield from Tesla or was that covered by your insurance company?

7. Altes

Altes Member

Check into 0 deductible glass coverage. Super cheap and windshields are way too thin as they are super weight adders for cars

8. Brunton

Thanks. Going to cost $1600+. I'll get it done at the Charlotte SC this week, along with annual servicing.

Tesla windshields seem rather fragile. My Ram has taken much more severe impacts and only chipped the glass a tiny bit.

9. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

How big is the chip? I got a chip last week, bought a $10 repair kit from Walmart, and it was easy and worked like a charm.

10. Brunton

Bigger than a silver dollar. Repair shop said they couldn't do it.

Just talked to the Charlotte Service Center to confirm an appointment for replacement. After making arrangements to get a day off work to go up there, I'm told they need to keep the car overnight. What?? No indication of this in my conversation with the other service writer, and nothing about it in the quote she sent me for the work. Would have been helpful to know that up front, so I could make other plans.

Not a big deal, but certainly a bit annoying...

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I just had my windshield replaced at the Charlotte SC. My car is an AP1 equipped car and the total bill was $1263.39 and my insurance company (State Farm) paid it completely under the glass breakage coverage.

12. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

They probably want it over night in order for the glue to cure. For instance closing a door with windows up creates an air pressure that could loosen the windshield if glue is not cured.