Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocker Panel PPF, useful or waste of money?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

So I just got my front of my car wrapped in PPF recently, was also wondering if I should get more protection on the rocker panels, since some people had reported paint wearing off in the rocker panel areas.

I live in Socal, where snow is basically non-existant, and I don't think the car will be facing extreme weather as well. Is it worth it, or something like mud flaps would be enough?

Hmm we haven't seen too many cars coming through with worn paint in the rocker area; though, that may be due to the age of the vehicle. Plus, with the gravel guard and the general shape and air flow, it doesn't seem like the rockers (that we've seen) are easily damaged by any sort of road debris either. If it was my personal car, I'd probably just wrap the front in PPF and leave it be. The newer cars do have a lot of substantial improvement in the paint from our experience.

Hey all,

So I just got my front of my car wrapped in PPF recently, was also wondering if I should get more protection on the rocker panels, since some people had reported paint wearing off in the rocker panel areas.

I live in Socal, where snow is basically non-existant, and I don't think the car will be facing extreme weather as well. Is it worth it, or something like mud flaps would be enough?

Honestly from what I've seen that's the first place you want to apply PPF.

Amongst the highest risk area for stone damage and the paint quality (or application process) is so poor that it is more likely to peel or be chipped away exposing the bare metal. Ideally I'd suggest they wrap around the edges as well for peace of mind

200% must do
ABSOLUTELY! That's the lowest part on the car and WILL get lots of impact. A search here will show rusted rockers on Model 3 that are "naked". Especially important to extend the film up the hips on the quarter panel in front of the rear wheels. It's not about snow/water - it's about road debris flying up and chipping the paint. You'll thank me after thousands of miles and the paint is still in good shape.

yea, i regret not doing that, i did ppf on my front bumper and its saved me a few nicks by my rockers after about 12k miles look pretty bad when you get close. its not a maintenance thing either, my car is babied, garaged, and washed weekly. the whole car has/d ceramic too so that doesnt do a think against road debris

Thanks fo everyone's comments. The car is already at 5.5k miles, so I am not sure if this is too late at this point... I don't mind a few scratches if it's already done (haven't really checked it closely), do you guys think I should still do it?

Thanks fo everyone's comments. The car is already at 5.5k miles, so I am not sure if this is too late at this point... I don't mind a few scratches if it's already done (haven't really checked it closely), do you guys think I should still do it?

I have about 3,000 miles and I'm still strongly considering PPF. I'm going to at least do full front and rockers if I do it.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I have had PPF on my rockers since day 1. I noticed around 8k miles that the rockers were taking a pounding from small rocks...in fact the lower portion of the door took a lot of little hits. I added a long splash guard in the front and its mitigated most of the hits from rocks on the rocker panels and doors. Without splash guards and PPF, your rocker panels are gonna look like it got hit by a shotgun after 10k miles.

I have had PPF on my rockers since day 1. I noticed around 8k miles that the rockers were taking a pounding from small rocks...in fact the lower portion of the door took a lot of little hits. I added a long splash guard in the front and its mitigated most of the hits from rocks on the rocker panels and doors. Without splash guards and PPF, your rocker panels are gonna look like it got hit by a shotgun after 10k miles.

Prior installing your splash guards, is it more towards the front or the back where the rocker panels are getting hit?