Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocker panel trim is bowed out - will not push back into place

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed gaps on both the passenger and drive side rocker panel trim (the plastic piece along the bottom of the car under the doors). For the passenger side I was able to push it back into place. Fro the drive side no such luck. I can see the clips, but they do not seem to engage. It almost seems as if the trim piece is being compressed and forced to buckle in the center.

Any thoughts?

View media item 121291

I noticed gaps on both the passenger and drive side rocker panel trim (the plastic piece along the bottom of the car under the doors). For the passenger side I was able to push it back into place. Fro the drive side no such luck. I can see the clips, but they do not seem to engage. It almost seems as if the trim piece is being compressed and forced to buckle in the center.

Any thoughts?

In French but you'll get the drift. Pop open the flaps, remove the bolts, pull it off, line it up and reinstall it:

Reactions: KenC
OK..... here is story

Mobile service #1 - Tech cannot push it back into place. He tries modifying the clips, but cannot push it into place. So he orders a new part (new rocker panel cover)

Mobile service #2- Tech is puzzled why part was ordered, proceeds to push cover back into place and it stays!
He says the trick is to NOT hit it directly upward, but apply sharp force up and *in*, towards under the car

saga continues....

During Mobile service #2 the tech tells me to leave the car out in the sun for a while.. it will help the plastic to set into place
I do this, and as the sun warms it up, it pops out of place
I text the tech and he makes the next appointment for me to come back in a week and replace it :)

Mobile service #3 - same tech as visit #2 arrives, which is very convenient as I do not need to explain the whole story. He replaces the rocker cover. we'll see how it holds up

I checked my car upon seeing this post and my drivers passenger side has a similar issue!

I tried to push it back up but, it doesn't seem to click.

It's also a 2020 for what it's worth.

I've just scheduled a service appointment.

Attachments

• IMG_6371.jpg
    IMG_6371.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 1,740
I checked my car upon seeing this post and my drivers passenger side has a similar issue!

I tried to push it back up but, it doesn't seem to click.

It's also a 2020 for what it's worth.

I've just scheduled a service appointment.

Had this issue on my 2020 as well. Just took a press right at the clip area and it snapped back into place. Keeping an eye on it at this point. If it comes loose again, it's going to the SC

Had this issue on my 2020 as well. Just took a press right at the clip area and it snapped back into place. Keeping an eye on it at this point. If it comes loose again, it's going to the SC

- In my case it would not push back in
- mobile service confirmed this and ordered new part
- 2nd mobile service showed me the trick for pushing it back in
- It popped back out
- 3rd mobile service replaced the part