Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocker Panels built-in "PPF"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching for this and I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Model 3 has a built-in "PPF" section on the rocker panel.

upload_2018-8-24_12-2-3.png

There is a subtle line that runs across the rocker panel. The paint below that line is coated with a self-healing, PPF-type material. You can use your finger nails to lightly tap and feel the difference.

Has any one else noticed this? I wonder how this coating will affect any road rash repairs.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    612.9 KB · Views: 685
  • Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
I noticed it before I got PPF so didn't ask for it along with the other areas I had them cover. Compared to my other cars, the Model 3 doesn't need the door handle cups either since there isn't any. Both those areas were required in the package I had put on our other cars. I did add the top edge of the trunk lid since I usually put my hand there to push the trunk closed and it will protect that from scratches from rings etc.

I noticed it before I got PPF so didn't ask for it along with the other areas I had them cover. Compared to my other cars, the Model 3 doesn't need the door handle cups either since there isn't any. Both those areas were required in the package I had put on our other cars. I did add the top edge of the trunk lid since I usually put my hand there to push the trunk closed and it will protect that from scratches from rings etc.

I have this coming to cover the trunk closing:

Model 3 Tailgate Closing Handle ( Only $28 with 20%*)

Or you can buy/order it here in the US:

Universal Trunk Handle

Reactions: JeffnReno
Looking closely, I thought it was some kind of thick beige primer. Perhaps that's the soft elastic coating people are referring to. The rocker area under that line is far more pebbly than the rest of the car, presumably due to that coating. Well, it may help a little, but not enough for those people who get sandblasting. Don't they use sandblasting to remove paint off old buildings?

Reactions: duanra
If the car was white and delivered last year, the line could be the repaint line to match the rocker panel and also the bumpers to the body white color. My friend and I both have that line on our M3 AWD. We look at our other friend's red and grey color M3 AWD... no line. At first we also thought that our cars came with free PPF on the bumpers!