TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rocker Panels built-in "PPF"

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by remlemasi, Aug 24, 2018.

1. remlemasi

remlemasi Member

I tried searching for this and I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned the fact that Model 3 has a built-in "PPF" section on the rocker panel.

upload_2018-8-24_12-2-3.png

There is a subtle line that runs across the rocker panel. The paint below that line is coated with a self-healing, PPF-type material. You can use your finger nails to lightly tap and feel the difference.

Has any one else noticed this? I wonder how this coating will affect any road rash repairs.

Attached Files:

2. sroh

sroh Member

I had not noticed this before, but you're absolutely right! Kudos to Tesla for this nice touch!

3. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

other manufacturers do the same thing. It protects the rockers from road debris kicked up by the front tire.

4. JeffnReno

JeffnReno Member

I noticed it before I got PPF so didn't ask for it along with the other areas I had them cover. Compared to my other cars, the Model 3 doesn't need the door handle cups either since there isn't any. Both those areas were required in the package I had put on our other cars. I did add the top edge of the trunk lid since I usually put my hand there to push the trunk closed and it will protect that from scratches from rings etc.

5. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I have this coming to cover the trunk closing:

Model 3 Tailgate Closing Handle ( Only $28 with 20%*)

Or you can buy/order it here in the US:

Universal Trunk Handle

• Like x 1
  6. JeffnReno

JeffnReno Member

7. chowfun

chowfun Member

Oh my. I have to check my rockers. I just cut two pieces of PPF (6x72")for my DIY install.

8. N54TT

N54TT Member

Does yours have the PPF as well?
    I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned before...even in the ppf threads.

9. chowfun

chowfun Member

I can't tell if it's PPF. I can definitely feel an edge, but I can't peel it. I may put PPF on it anyway for extra protection. Now I wonder if I can use a polisher on that area.

VIN 26XXX.

10. remlemasi

remlemasi Member

It's definitely not PPF in the sense that it's not an applied film.

Some light research uncovered this product: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08889-Rocker-Panel-Coating/dp/B00HSCN8NO

It's meant for body shop repairs, but my understanding is that a similar product is applied to the rocker panel at the factory before the final (base, clear, etc.) coats are applied.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. NuclearPowered

So did you add the PPF?