Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rockers look sandblasted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unprotected Model 3 winter damage pictures courtesy of this firm in Quebec:

Garde-Boues Tesla Model 3 (California Edition) *** En production, prévoir 3-4 semaines d'attente *** - Antirouille Bolduc

208B8594-FFDD-44C8-87D0-4374B44B7671.jpeg

8E8F7717-3210-4EED-8518-26F6488F789E.jpeg

C8290154-CC77-43D3-B94F-367985D7E02F.jpeg

Yep. between the rounded design and lack of plastic protection in this exact area, the 3 has a serious case of designed by a 22 yr old from California problem...Do they even have cold? Do they have road salt?

I did manage to plasti-dip some of mine last weekend, but mid way through got the call that my wife was rear-ended. So it got all jacked up. (She's recovering, still very sore a week later). I removed the dip since it was only 1 layer. that was fun...

So, I'll give it another go this weekend hopefully.

Reactions: ricohman
Yeah, invisiblemask.com sells just the rocker pieces in Suntek or 3M that also covers part of the area in front of the rear wheel well, that gets hit particularly hard. I'm about to order some.
My rocker panels also look like they got sandblasted. The factory ppf doesn’t help much as they are way too low. Are there any pre-made ppf just to cover the rocker section?

this thread got me paranoid, so I went to check on my car. I've been through 2 New England winters (plenty of sand and salt from late fall to early spring). I see no damage at all, not even to the clear coat. I have 18,000 miles on the car.

Could Tesla's paint have changed over time? I have a fairly early build (VIN 0068xx), midnight silver.

I do have a few rock chips on the front bumper though.

this thread got me paranoid, so I went to check on my car. I've been through 2 New England winters (plenty of sand and salt from late fall to early spring). I see no damage at all, not even to the clear coat. I have 18,000 miles on the car.

Could Tesla's paint have changed over time? I have a fairly early build (VIN 0068xx), midnight silver.

Good info ! Yep it could have to cheaper?? my vin last digits 224547...

Everything is chipped less than 2400 km. Paint is *sugar*.

Just look look on right side door 4k video it is already on 25 cm high. !

I am still wondering why some cars have this problem and some not.
I read a post from a guy who said he doesn't wash his car very often. As a result there is always a fair amount of ice in the wheel wells. I suppose that could be a protection after all. Could even avoid the rocker panels to be salt/sandblasted in winter ?

Reactions: KenC

The cars with the most severe rocker damage are going to be AWD, because the front wheels are working when the roads get slippery. A RWD is going to be exposed to far less damaging conditions, though I would check the area behind the rear wheels on the bumper. Still, it won't get blasted nearly as bad as the rockers on an AWD car.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
I am still wondering why some cars have this problem and some not.
I read a post from a guy who said he doesn't wash his car very often. As a result there is always a fair amount of ice in the wheel wells. I suppose that could be a protection after all. Could even avoid the rocker panels to be salt/sandblasted in winter ?
Now, that's an interesting theory. The snow and ice coating the wheel wells really do look like mud guards. I know mine do in the Winter. Now, I'm less inclined to kick that ice and snow off! It could literally last the whole Winter.

Attention to Tesla Model 3 owners - there are hundreds of Model 3 owners worldwide who are not happy with the paint of Model 3. There are many Model 3 Teslas in Canada that have a rust problem already and Finland Model 3 owners at least 20 people have noticed their paint wearing off in 1 month of usage & driving in normal clean roads. #TeslaPaintIssues #TeslaQualityIssues

This is not normal wear and tear, it is clear that this is a production issue. That’s why we are filing a group complaint against Tesla. Public complaint: Consumer advocacy service Twitter RT if you can? J Savolainen on Twitter

If you are a Tesla Model 3 owner who has a legitimate reason to file a complaint against Tesla, please sign our group complaint and join our Facebook group to get more info about the issue.

Also you can update your details to the Google Sheets document which you can find here:
Global Tesla model 3 paint problems

• Informative
Reactions: OPRCE and KenC
IMO, the issue isn't the paint itself, it is the lack of any strategically placed mechanical protection.

As unsexy as it may be:
  • a small built in "mud flap", shaped like that found on other vehicles such as a Prius;
  • "factory grade" PPF placed at the lower aft edge of the rear doors and front edge of the dogleg between the door and rear wheel opening, and
  • an expansion in the size of the (black plastic) trim piece that runs between both wheel wells.
IIRC, the Model Y looks like it will include the above fixes.

IMO, the issue isn't the paint itself, it is the lack of any strategically placed mechanical protection.

As unsexy as it may be:
  • a small built in "mud flap", shaped like that found on other vehicles such as a Prius;
  • "factory grade" PPF placed at the lower aft edge of the rear doors and front edge of the dogleg between the door and rear wheel opening, and
  • an expansion in the size of the (black plastic) trim piece that runs between both wheel wells.
IIRC, the Model Y looks like it will include the above fixes.
You're right, paint is only part of the problem. I actually got my rockers ppfed.
However, before I did it, I drove through a Canadian winter on the east coast, drove 2000 km of highway and put 4500 km on the car, without paint issue. So it means that some cars had sh.... paint and some don't which is, of course, unacceptable.

That is crazy with only 3k miles on it. Paint defect?

Unfortunately this is a common occurrence and is not a paint defect, but a reality of driving a Model 3. First gen Model S has plastic rocker panels and although it might not be seen as "premium" it certainly was effective and inexpensive to replace down the road when they inevitably get sand blasted and chewed up. It's not often thought about an area to protect possibly since it's low on the car, but a high risk impact zone nonetheless

-Kevin

Reactions: KenC