Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rockers look sandblasted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is timely for me. Trying to decide if mudguards plus the Tesla all weather film which covers the front of the rear wheel (already installed) well is good enough or do I need to suck it up and replace it with full xpel. Hard to determine if this is something unique to the model 3 or the same as every other car on the road.

This is timely for me. Trying to decide if mudguards plus the Tesla all weather film which covers the front of the rear wheel (already installed) well is good enough or do I need to suck it up and replace it with full xpel. Hard to determine if this is something unique to the model 3 or the same as every other car on the road.
I would very much urge to get the full Xpel coverage and can assure you that, you'll likely never buy a vehicle again and not do the xpel clear bra. The longer you own the Tesla the more will be returned to you up until you sell it when you should get a better resale price to others who opted not to do it.

I would very much urge to get the full Xpel coverage and can assure you that, you'll likely never buy a vehicle again and not do the xpel clear bra. The longer you own the Tesla the more will be returned to you up until you sell it when you should get a better resale price to others who opted not to do it.
Thanks. I hear you but budget is relevant. I did not budget 2k for ppf for this car. Ppf is really expensive for those of us who only plan to keep a car a few years. But I am leaning toward doing some minimal ppf to protect the problem areas.

Reactions: navguy12
Every car has these issue, but the aero design of the 3 makes it much worse. They could have made the lower part of the car more vertical to prevent dirt pummeling the rockers or put some material less likely to pit.

Thanks. I hear you but budget is relevant. I did not budget 2k for ppf for this car. Ppf is really expensive for those of us who only plan to keep a car a few years. But I am leaning toward doing some minimal ppf to protect the problem areas.
May 2018 build.

Ceramic and PPF added to the whole front end (bumper, hood, front quarters, exterior mirrors), the A pillars, top of the rear bumper, behind the rear licence plate and all four door jambs when the car was brand new.

I put mud flaps on all four corners, plus installed PPF on the dogleg between the rear of the rear door opening and the front of the rear wheel well when the car was less than six months old (prior to its first winter).

If funds are limited, mud flaps will give you the 90% solution.

I also picked white because it is good at hiding micro sand blasted pits.

May 2018 build.

Ceramic and PPF added to the whole front end (bumper, hood, front quarters, exterior mirrors), the A pillars, top of the rear bumper, behind the rear licence plate and all four door jambs when the car was brand new.

I put mud flaps on all four corners, plus installed PPF on the dogleg between the rear of the rear door opening and the front of the rear wheel well when the car was less than six months old (prior to its first winter).

If funds are limited, mud flaps will give you the 90% solution.

I also picked white because it is good at hiding micro sand blasted pits.
Thanks. I have tsoloutions mudflaps and the Tesla branded film which covers that dogleg area. Trying to figure out if I can skip the full rocker treatment. I did have some chips closer to the front wheel after about 10 miles so that has me concerned but it was before the mudflaps.

Reactions: navguy12
Thanks. I have tsoloutions mudflaps and the Tesla branded film which covers that dogleg area. Trying to figure out if I can skip the full rocker treatment. I did have some chips closer to the front wheel after about 10 miles so that has me concerned but it was before the mudflaps.
Sounds like you should be okay.

I can't remember the brand name of the mud flaps I use, but they were from Quebec and are not 3D.

I thought they would stick out like a sore thumb, but they blend in with the black of the wheel opening and your eye isn't drawn to them.

If you're just thinking about rocker protection, PPF is less than $200 if you DIY. It's fairly easy, but the position requires you to do the install on your back. I got 3M scotchgard Pro from invisiblemask.com for around $120. But, I think the kit from carprotectionpros.com might be better, since it also includes the pieces for the lower part of the doors, for $180. I didn't buy that kit since I had already PPF'd the doors.
IMG_2089.jpg

Is it this one you have? Produits

If it is I'd be interested in some pics
Yes, those are the ones I have.

They don't stand out like a sore thumb from any distance:

20210303_135055.jpg

20210303_135036.jpg

I have the small ones on the rear wheel wells:

20210303_134840.jpg

20210303_134858.jpg

In the winter, when I swap the summer tires for the winter tires, I use the large (Northern (?)) size:

20210303_134909.jpg

20210303_134920.jpg

In the summer, I use the smaller front set (that came with the rear set):

20210303_135002.jpg

The kit includes strips of PPF to ensure your paint is not chafed by the mud flap material.

I'd buy them again in a hearbeat...this is third winter with them.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and 6spdcoupe
Oh so you have both the Midwest and North edition and change them depending on season? We have the same color car so it's a great for me to compare. The Midwest looks nice and discrete. North is obviously larger, but do you feel like it sticks out too much?

Oh so you have both the Midwest and North edition and change them depending on season? We have the same color car so it's a great for me to compare. The Midwest looks nice and discrete. North is obviously larger, but do you feel like it sticks out too much?
Yes, it's called the Midwest edition for the smaller units.

The rear units are the Midwest units and they are there 'forever'.

The front ones, those I swap out for seasonal purposes.

I don’t feel that the North ones stick out too much and, honestly, I may just keep those on year round.

When you first install these mudflaps, all you will do is notice them because that is human nature .

But a month later, I really don't pay attention to them...and my rocker paint aft of the front wheel wells is in great condition.