TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rocket Simulations With Quantum Computing?

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by CuriousSky, Aug 16, 2017.

1. CuriousSky

CuriousSky New Member

I am new to ALL this stuff so forgive me because this might be a stupid question. I was just wondering if SpaceX is investing in rapidly optimizing/functionalizing quantum computing so that they can run mass simulations simultaneously? Since Jordi Rose founder of D-Wave is working with NASA and so is SpaceX I was just curious if they were working together yet to advance and accelerate this mission to Mars?o_O

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have no idea. But I suspect that SpaceX has enough to do without trying to create a quantum computer.

• Like x 1
  3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

SpaceX is at the cutting edge of most new technologies. If it works, they will probably use it. Elon is very involved in advanced AI computing and fighting for regulations and oversight of AI. I also know that Steve Jurvetson, a Tesla and SpaceX board member, is involved in quantum computing. So if it works then I'm sure it's being used. This series of videos gives a good idea of the business culture at SpaceX:

SpaceX - Dan Rasky - YouTube

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Quantum computing is still in the very very early stage of research. It cannot be used for such applications yet and in the foreseeable future.

5. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Not only that, but physical simulations & design work aren't really the target application for quantum computing. As I understand it, they're initially looking at cryptography & communications. NASA tends to get involved in all sorts of technology side projects. SpaceX is much more focused.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

For all intents and purposes, practical quantum computers do not exist yet, and may be some time off.

• Like x 1