Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rockford, IL Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference signage looks to be a common trend with the new Superchargers coming online.
In theory, you would want to use the EV Parking spots first. Then, if they are not available, use the 30 minute general parking ones. That should keep the ICEing to a minimum -- but yes, without the "ONLY" on the signs, there is still that possibility.

Some of this could be because of I-90. As you probably know, between Rockford and Randall Road, what 20-25 miles, it's all torn up, a two lane concrete jungle that no one wants to drive.
And, once that's done, apparently, I-90 from Randall to 53? is also being torn up.

Yes, I believe it's more like 35 miles that are currently torn up (with trucks in the left lane and a 45 mph speed limit), plus the Westbound side goes to one lane for a while. It is VERY painful.

The difference signage looks to be a common trend with the new Superchargers coming online.
In theory, you would want to use the EV Parking spots first. Then, if they are not available, use the 30 minute general parking ones. That should keep the ICEing to a minimum -- but yes, without the "ONLY" on the signs, there is still that possibility.

I must admit I can't really figure out what the signage means.

Does "30 Minute General Parking" mean anyone (including Model Ses/other EVs that are not charging as well as ICEs) can park in those four spots for up to 30 minutes? If you are charging (not using it as general parking), can you stay in those four spots longer than 30 minutes?

Then, the vague "Electric Vehicle Parking" signs on the other two spots don't really tell you anything. They might prevent ICEs from parking there (even without "ONLY" on the sign). But can any other EVs use those two spots even though they obviously cannot use the superchargers? It doesn't imply in any way that you should be charging while using these spots.

I understand that most of us (Tesla owners) would not park in a supercharging spot unless we needed to charge, but I think clarification would be wise for the general public. That being said, my "40" kWh car cannot use them anyway, so I will not be using these spaces... unless I unlock my 60 kWh battery and supercharging hardware some day.

Last edited:
ICEing like the van at the Superchargers in Normal Illinois?

In that article I explained what I was told in regards to why the signage is the way it is. Seems rather silly to me and also seems like a good way to cause unnecessary conflicts / drama. Especially with a very large parking garage like they have in Normal.

Tesla Model S Supercharging Uptown Station Parking Deck Normal Illinois | Iggy Uncensored

Honestly I'm not sure if this is just someone being lazy - maybe someone with a medical condition that really does need to have a close parking space. Honestly I think it is someone just being a jerk.

Has anyone been using the Rockford superchargers? I stopped by on my way from Chicago to Madison on Monday afternoon, and nobody was there. Also, did anyone notice that the signs are different on the first four spots ("30 Minute General Parking") than on the last two ("Electric Vehicle Parking")? Here are a few pictures...

View attachment 33749

I was up there several weeks ago and the mall police stopped by for a chat. He said that there are people charging up there every day.

Needed to run some areas up this way and used this supercharger. 7 of 8 were occupied.

FYI, that the Granite City Food & Brewery has been replaces with an authentic Mexican restaurant called El Vallarta.

Our meal was excellent and the table chips came with ceviche fish and a fairly hot green salsa. We got some extra ceviche fish which was *excellent*.

El Vallarta menu pdf --> https://www.elvallartarestaurantbar.com/menu/menu.pdf

While ceviche is typically prepared with raw fish, it is not considered raw in the same way that sushi or sashimi are. The acidity of the citrus juices in the marinade "cooks" the fish, causing the proteins to denature and the flesh to become opaque and firm. This process is similar to cooking in terms of the changes that occur to the proteins, but it does not involve heat. As a result, ceviche is often referred to as a "cooked" dish, even though it is technically raw.

• Informative
Reactions: GleanerC