Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocking Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm definitely in the camp of feeling the rocking especially on slowing (regen) or quick stopping. New Gen leather seats on face lifted 2016. 90D. Anxious to hear what the definitive answer is so my request at service center Will be be more efficient.

Anyone else experiencing a seat that feels like it is not totally bolted down? The seats in my P90D have an awful lot of play in them, and they feel like they rock.
yes. have had this since day one. and my seat creaks like a haunted house... they keep trying to fix but just can't get it done... makes the car sound so cheap when people are riding with me it's totally embarrassing.

I took my car in to the service center yesterday for this and a few other minor things. They're ordering a replacement for me. Will be interesting to see how the replacement is, but it's going to take several weeks to arrive first! At least this isn't a major problem.

I had my car in for service of a couple items today. One of the items was the "play" and rocking motion of the front seat. I was told that they took video of the movement and sent it to engineering to review, but it appeared to be within specification based on their analysis.

I told them my previous car a Mercedes had 130k miles and the driver seat doesn't move at all! This is a safety issue and no movement is acceptable as the driver needs to be focused on driving not compensating for the seat moving while driving the car!

Had a ranger come out today for a different issue. He told me the same thing. Have to replace the seats. Used mink oil to fix the squeak. Also replaced my mats "weather guard" kind due to curling
My service center wouldn't replace my rubber floor mats with severe curling issues. They insisted that all mats did that and a replacement wouldn't help.

I'll ask them again when I go in for the seat rocking and ticking issue. My seat issue keeps getting worse and worse. I already had a seat replaced for the same issue but after a few weeks the issue came back and it's even worse than before. Every time I go over a little bump it makes metallic sqeaking noise. And it can't be weight, I only weigh 150.

Did your seats make a metallic ticking/clicking and cascading noise when they rocked back and forth? I have an issue where my seat makes a creak/tick every time I go over a bump. While my car is parked, if I use my hands to rock the seat back and forth, it makes the sound as well. I have the standard black leather seats.

I had my seat replaced once for the same issue, but the sounds came back after a month and got even worse.

They ordered a new seat for me back in November but they haven't contacted me about them yet.

Update: it took two visits to convince them that this was the issue. Second visit was in December. They ordered new seat. Still waiting....hard enough to get in for an appt, much longer to get any kind of spare part. Not good.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
Here's a data point that's similar to the others. Have late-15' P90DL with what I assumed was loose driver's seat bolts. Took it to our local SC a few months ago. Super sharp tech (Go Zepp!) noted bad bushings and ordered a new seat (Next Gen/Recaro).

New seat is much better, but, oddly, not quite as solid as I would have expected. Perhaps as I get used to it or it "settles in" it will feel more secure.

Time will tell, but it is a known issue (and perhaps may explain why Tesla is now making their own seats).

Did your seats make a metallic ticking/clicking and cascading noise when they rocked back and forth? I have an issue where my seat makes a creak/tick every time I go over a bump. While my car is parked, if I use my hands to rock the seat back and forth, it makes the sound as well. I have the standard black leather seats.

I had my seat replaced once for the same issue, but the sounds came back after a month and got even worse.

They ordered a new seat for me back in November but they haven't contacted me about them yet.

Yes, a ticking noise along with the rocking.

I've been asking my service advisor each time I go in about the status of the seat, but he just says its still backordered. He's may not even be checking.

Is there a way to elevate status questions like this?

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ