Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocking Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Drivers seat is rocking again and now so is my passenger seat, in-fact the passenger seat is rocking even more then the driver seat. I contacted Tesla about this on December 5th. They asked for pictures of the seats so they could order the right ones, which sounds like a stall tactic to me, how do they not know what seats my car has / was ordered with, Never mind the fact that they have already ordered and replaced a seat in my car 1 month after delivery. They should have all this data on file for my car already as I stated in my email reply to Tesla. I also included the pictures and even videos of my seats rocking!

I am still waiting for the replacement seats 78 days later!

I consider this a safety issue as the driver who is in control of the car shouldn't have to worry about the seat moving.

Reactions: DDotJ
My Drivers seat is rocking again and now so is my passenger seat, in-fact the passenger seat is rocking even more then the driver seat. I contacted Tesla about this on December 5th. They asked for pictures of the seats so they could order the right ones, which sounds like a stall tactic to me, how do they not know what seats my car has / was ordered with, Never mind the fact that they have already ordered and replaced a seat in my car 1 month after delivery. They should have all this data on file for my car already as I stated in my email reply to Tesla. I also included the pictures and even videos of my seats rocking!

I consider this a safety issue as the driver who is in control of the car shouldn't have to worry about the seat moving.

For legal experts out there, could this issue be grounds for excercising the lemon laws in California?

Reactions: Tech_Guy
Is Tesla even manufacturing the old style first-gen seats anymore (or the next-gen)? To my understanding, Tesla changed the standard seat of the Model S to the new seats and discontinued the old style a while back ago. Maybe that's the reason for the hold-up?

I have heard nothing about the replacement seats from my Service Center. When I call and ask, they said they did not know and told me to ask my service advisor. I emailed him a few days ago but he hasn't responded yet.

My issue keeps getting worse and worse, and I'm not a heavy person, I'm only 150 lbs.

Yes - I unfortunately have the same seat rocking issue (P85D with NG seats). Have raised this with Tesla twice and on both occasions they have indicated it falls within engineering tolerances (i.e. no seat replacement).

Granted I am well padded but have not had this problem in other cars. Have learned to live with it :( (doesn't bug me as much as the front floor mat which seems to creep under / over the pedals every time I get in as I squeeze my legs under the steering wheel).

@Tech_Guy Did they ever replace your seats? Or did they fix it?

I had to call up my service center after 6 months to ask them about it. they kept telling me they would get back to me and never called back. The next time I went to the Service Center, I asked in person and they said they would take care of it. Apparently the order didn't go through.

They replaced my seat and the sound is gone. What's interesting is that the seat back material is different from the one that came with my car and my first replacement seat. The matte finish on the seat back is softer and less "plastic-y". It's been almost 6 months now and so far so good :)

The standard (Gen 1.5?) seats on my 75D made in 11/16 have some rock to them during acceleration and regen since new. I've considered complaining to the SC when I go for my 1 year checkup. Maybe by then they will have a fix? Wonder if they will still have them with the new vegan seating as standard?

− Quote

They must hand assemble these seats if it takes 4 months to get it replaced. These NG seats are discontinued I presume and are made to order since they were replaced with "Premium Seats?"

I do not know how they managed to source the nextgen seats. Keep in mind I live in Norway and 4 months time is caused mainly by shipping. In April I even got new lower part of the 2nd row nextgen seats which were discontinued in 2015. (Tesla broke/bent the seat frame at annual service)

Just had service center take a look at my drivers and passenger seat since they are rocking (passenger seat not as bad). Said they will order a replacement drivers seat. May take a few months complicated by the fact that mine is a p85+ with the old performance seats and they are tan. :(

What a novel solution to the old seats. A wooden wedge. Love it! So glad you found a solution to your problem.

My ongoing seat saga (which now spans two vehicles) continues under warranty:

I owned a 2015 Model S with NextGen seats, and had 4 seat replacements in 37k miles due to rocking. Each seat replacement ended up taking about 2 months for the seat to arrive making this process particularly painful. The problem was never completely resolved.

I ultimately ended up upgrading my Model S to a 2018 model (March 2018) for other reasons, but was hoping the Model X seats that are now used in the Model S would no longer have this problem. Within about 1000 miles, the rocking started. I reached about 4000 miles before I reported it to the Service center. They did an assessment of the seat, and observed that there wasn't a faulty mechanism necessarily, but that each joint introduced just a little bit of play, resulting in a cumulative rocking effect during acceleration and regenerative braking. The passenger seat, which doesn't get nearly as much use, doesn't have this problem.

Tesla Service ordered a new driver's seat for me, which arrived very quickly (10 days). They installed it and it is fantastic. Keeping my fingers crossed that the problem will not return, but I know that I'm kidding myself.

Had this issue and had the whole driver seat replaced under warranty (just had to wait half a year for the replacement seat). All good now.

Congrats. Good luck with the new seats. I've had mine replaced 5 times across 2 different Model S's now. Just doesn't make sense how they can rock like this. Best news is we're heading into winter when the bushings should stiffen up a bit in the cold weather.