Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocking Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realise this is an old thread and life has moved on, but I just wondered if the reason for the seats rocking was ever resolved?

I have seen reference to bushings being to blame, seat frames and a cure being to hammer a wedge of wood in, but I can't find the real reason this happens and what the solution might be. You might gather I have the same problem, long out of warranty and local SC told me changing the seats was the only solution (at my cost), but 'no guarantee it won't happen again'

Just got my seat replaced last week after many months of it being “on order.” They won’t reach out to you so you have to follow up. Problem now is that none of the seat memory works. A follow up service has been scheduled.

It seems like I’ve come out with new problems after each of my last few service visits. I believe the last one they replaced the power trunk actuator but didn’t program it correctly so it was stuck on one height and would error when I held the button to reprogram.

Just got my seat replaced last week after many months of it being “on order.” They won’t reach out to you so you have to follow up. Problem now is that none of the seat memory works. A follow up service has been scheduled.

It seems like I’ve come out with new problems after each of my last few service visits. I believe the last one they replaced the power trunk actuator but didn’t program it correctly so it was stuck on one height and would error when I held the button to reprogram.

Had the exact same issue with one of our 2017 MS's as well: SC replaced the power actuator for the hatch (popping and creaking noises), and the new one would not take any settings. They had to send out a mobile service tech to finish the job . . . and I very much doubt the word ever got back to the original SC tech.

Tesla can be such a frustratingly stupid and inept company, despite the huge number of bright people that work there, and the generally brilliant products.

Sigh.

I brought in our S to have the seat play looked into and they confirmed that both seats rock, but that it's a "customer pays" replacement. They quoted me $1,900 for just the driver seat. I'll look into fixing it myself with some washers/shims if the seat gets worse.

Had the exact same issue with one of our 2017 MS's as well: SC replaced the power actuator for the hatch (popping and creaking noises), and the new one would not take any settings. They had to send out a mobile service tech to finish the job . . . and I very much doubt the word ever got back to the original SC tech.

Tesla can be such a frustratingly stupid and inept company, despite the huge number of bright people that work there, and the generally brilliant products.

Sigh.

Yup, I doubt the first tech was ever told. They just fix the problem that's reported and don't test everything afterwards. That's why picking up the car without you original SA around, or at an offsite location, is so inane.

On one of the other service visits where they fixed something in the roof, both backseat lights had debris in it afterwards. They also left around 5-10 microfiber towels in my trunk, as well as a nut and bolt part in my cup holder. There was a squeak after that so I'm not sure if that part was supposed to be in there. They subsequently fixed the squeak but ironically on a different service visit, they took that nut/bolt from my cup holder (I have a center console cup holder so I never used the arm rest cup holders).

It's such a shame because the people working there do seem genuinely nice and want to help you out. I talk and get along with them. The mobile service people are pretty cool too as they are friendly, give you tips, and say it like it is. I do feel bad though because I would tip them more if they came to help me on first time fixes. Sadly, most of my mobile service visits were as a result of unfinished jobs or issues that originated from the service center, which wasted my time and theirs.

My MS is now out of warranty so I'm probably going to be more of a DIY approach for items that can be fixed at home, so I guess I can avoid most of the service pitfalls.

I realise this is an old thread and life has moved on, but I just wondered if the reason for the seats rocking was ever resolved?

I have seen reference to bushings being to blame, seat frames and a cure being to hammer a wedge of wood in, but I can't find the real reason this happens and what the solution might be. You might gather I have the same problem, long out of warranty and local SC told me changing the seats was the only solution (at my cost), but 'no guarantee it won't happen again'

The issue will happen again. On my service write up, it says something like, "the seat assembly meeting points were worn from wear and tear, it's not a serviceable item, and a replacement is needed." At first they said it's not covered under warranty but after some escalation, they approved it. However, they said the seat was backordered and will take some time to get a replacement. It took over six months and several follow ups to finally get it replaced. It was replaced in two pieces, both at different times.

The funny thing is that on my last service appointment request on the app for the seat replacement, the service writer told me they will replace the bolts even though I told him/her via text that the seat issue was already diagnosed previously. I was told they have to check still so I went into the service center and it was reiterated to me that they will check my bolts as written on the service order. I sent my past screenshots and somehow they found the seat at another location in a different state. Based on everything I've gathered, I don't think the seat was ever ordered in the first place but they just said that in hopes of me forgetting.

I’ve had seats replaced for rocking on my 85D and P85D. I thought I read there was now a procedure to fix them. And since when is a seat a “wear item”. Total BS!

I was careful not to report it as a noise or rattle which they might try to avoid covering under warranty. Say something like “seat feels loose and unsafe”. That puts it on them...

I found a reference to a service bulletin here - Tesla support no responding, "escalate with executive" not responding. What can be done? which seems to confirm it relates to a worn out rivet or 'Huck BOM Fastener' in Teslaspeak.

Evidently, replacing it requires the old one to be drilled out and the new one fitted using a special tool. I suspect that may be a step or beyond my confidence level for a DIY job so I guess I'll live with it for the time being.

Now, about those wooden wedges...

The seat skin (leather or vegan) and foam should be the only parts of the seat considered a wear item.
A seat frame is a safety item and should be built well enough that it does not degrade through use.
Agree.

My 2013's driver seat started rocking only when doing quick stops. Now it has progressed to rocking even during low speeds slowdowns.... I had an appointment, the issue was verified, and a new seat was recommended but needed to be reviewed by engineering. I was told engineering would look into the issue within 2-3 days and I would hear back. It has been over a week and I didn't hear anything. I scheduled a new service appointment and got a text that engineering still hasn't looked into it and they wanted to cancel my Sept 14th (next available) appointment that I created. I asked them to not cancel such and I expect the issue to be resolved by then as it is considerably worsening and seems to be a safety risk. So far it has not been canceled. It seems like this a common issue and if they can't fix it/blow me off by canceling the appointment -- I'll be filling an NHTSA report. My seat feels like it is moving almost a half-inch (if not more).

Last edited: