Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rockville MD service center is absolutely useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sir Guacamolaf

The good kind of fat
Mar 15, 2016
Not in a Tesla
Okay I am completely frustrated with Rockville, MD.

Their heads are so far up their donkeys they can't even figure out how to set up an appointment, and they keep giving me lip service and won't give me an appointment to look at my car. At this point I have very low confidence in the actual job they'll do.

Question - Is Tyson's any better, and how do I request Tesla to just redirect me to Tysons? Feel free to reply here or message me privately re: your experiences with Tysons. TIA

Reactions: PStewart

Their heads are so far up their donkeys they can't even figure out how to set up an appointment, and they keep giving me lip service and won't give me an appointment to look at my car. At this point I have very low confidence in the actual job they'll do.

Question - Is Tyson's any better, and how do I request Tesla to just redirect me to Tysons? Feel free to reply here or message me privately re: your experiences with Tysons. TIA
I heard owings mills is open.

Whoa! Wow - that is so *not* my experience with RSC. Very sorry to hear that. The only time I've been in limbo waiting on an appt is when they've remotely diag'd my car and are waiting for parts to arrive. I know they're swamped though - last time I was in for service (replacing drive unit, which wasn't in stock) they had to squeeze me in (they apparently hold back some emergency slots - makes sense to me - I had some early VIN noise and door handle issues that weren't urgent and didn't mind waiting while they debugged more serious issues with other cars). Did they not offer you ANY date? or are they trying to squeeze you in and don't have the bandwidth to do it?
Also, fwiw, other thread says Owings Mills will be opening on 19th, so they're probably extra stretched right now since they're losing personnel. Hope you can get into Tyson's soon.

Reactions: Off Shore
Well here is what I'm going through.

I have an issue with my car - in 2 years of ownership, except one paid service, this is the first time I have really asked them for anything.

Their first reaction - ignore. For a full week, and 6 different emails. I then got frustrated and complained to HQ, and someone called me - and basically said "Why don't you just take a note of when the issues happen, and we can look at the logs". Sounded more like a standard answer to get someone off the phone. I told them that I can repro the problem on demand, .. but they kept insisting that they need logs. I felt that they were just trying to get me off the phone as they really didn't want to deal with me. Almost like they are too busy dealing with bigger fires. Other customers perhaps with more pressing issues I am sure.

Anyway, a week later a brand new issue surfaces - this time it must be fixed. This new issue is not an annoyance, this is a must fix. And I call RSC - get their voicemail, leave message, call is not returned in 24 hours. I send an email, no response to that either.

So I call HQ, who connects me to a real person at RSC, who basically says "Someone will call you to set up the appointment" and they also tell me that appointments are 2 months out .... strange that I have to wait days to get an appointment that is months out.

.. but sure! Not like I have a choice anyway. So I guess I'll just man my phone all day long.

2 days later - nobody calls. So I call back, .. and they assure me that someone will call and the "concierge service" is the only one that can schedule an appointment. I complain that I cannot be around my phone all the time, can they at least give me a time when they'll call? Nope! I just have to sit around my phone, and they assure me that they will call - God knows when!

That was yesterday, still no call. Meanwhile I have to stick around my phone like a beaten wife from 1872.

Honestly, I'm thinking really hard about bad customer experiences I've had. I can't match this with too many others. Perhaps my health insurance, or maybe the IRS. But it's definitely amongst the top worst.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I can tell you that my first three years of ownership (2012-2015) Rockville Service Center was outstanding. I only had one issue and that was a bad inflation valve (it was new, BTW!) was installed when they mounted new tires for me. I brought it back next day (without appointment) and they replaced the defective valve for me. My experience the last year with Tesla Tysons has been the same as Rockville great service and great people.

Reactions: bonnie
I haven't been in to Tysons for probably a year (things have been going great, lol). But in the first few months I brought the car in more times than I'd like to admit, and I never had a problem at Tysons. I would just call/email directly to one of two people working there (I can give you their emails if you want, not sure if they're still there, as I haven't taken my car in for a while), and they'd setup an appointment via email quickly (well the setup was quick, the appointment was usually weeks away).

So overall two thumbs up for Tysons.

I haven't been in to Tysons for probably a year (things have been going great, lol). But in the first few months I brought the car in more times than I'd like to admit, and I never had a problem at Tysons. I would just call/email directly to one of two people working there (I can give you their emails if you want, not sure if they're still there, as I haven't taken my car in for a while), and they'd setup an appointment via email quickly (well the setup was quick, the appointment was usually weeks away).

So overall two thumbs up for Tysons.
I wanted to add, I just confirmed the two email addresses I have are valid.

How do I know? Because I just @#$% jinxed myself.

Drivers side door handle no longer works. I have to pry it open with a credit card every time I need to get into the car. Trying to setup my appointment at Tysons now... sigh.

I haven't had need to visit Rockville for service in some time, but over my 3.5+ years of ownership I've probably been there 6-8 times, and they had always been excellent.

Sorry to hear about your recent experience.
I am in the same boat hear, I got my Model S in Feb 2014 and they have opened up early just to accommodate giving us a loaner car before my wife went to work. I have only seen top notch service from them. I have been in for a rockchip, squeaky brakes, annual maintenance/battery shield upgrade, tpms alert, accessory battery and 2 drive units and everything has been great.

I requested to be connected to Tysons, and they gave me an appt 2 weeks out.
I guess drivers door handle not working takes priority over what you had :p

My appointment is less then 2 weeks away at Tysons. I'm impressed, I've never had an appointment this quick (also had 2 other minor annoyances on my list, but I wasn't going to schedule an appointment just for them)

I wanted to add, I just confirmed the two email addresses I have are valid.

How do I know? Because I just @#$% jinxed myself.

Drivers side door handle no longer works. I have to pry it open with a credit card every time I need to get into the car. Trying to setup my appointment at Tysons now... sigh.
Could you try putting something like a shoe lace through when it's open and tying the ends together? Then you'd have something to easily grab and pull, though it would look pretty low-rent.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: EVTECH and Max*
I guess drivers door handle not working takes priority over what you had :p

My appointment is less then 2 weeks away at Tysons. I'm impressed, I've never had an appointment this quick (also had 2 other minor annoyances on my list, but I wasn't going to schedule an appointment just for them)

I'm pretty sure it's dependent on having parts on hand, and probably the right skillsets available too... Sir G - hope your visit goes well (in 1.something weeks)

I called RSC for an appt to have my 36k service done, and am happy to report that they called me back twice trying to reach me to confirm a date. I asked for a Friday with a loaner, so it took a few weeks but I have a date. They acknowledged they've been stretched with the opening of Owings Mills. They sent four of their techs there and are now backfilling those positions.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart