TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rocky Mount Supercharger

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by ggbjr, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Now that we have Burlington nearly finished (and Richmond), has anyone heard anything about the rumored Rocky Mount supercharger?

2. JayBoy

JayBoy Member

Only that the Burlington crew was going to Colorado next...

3. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I searched Nash County construction permits a few days ago and didn't see anything promising. I couldn't find Wilson County permits online.

ggbr - Love the avatar! Trinity '90

4. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

I was at the Richmond supercharger and the people there mentioned that the Rocky Mount supercharger is underway. Apparently conduit has been laid. Should be on target for early to mid November.

5. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

OK guys, now find the dang thing :)

6. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

This is great news! Thanks for the update techmaven.

7. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Amazing news, thanks for the update!

8. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

If anyone here lives near Rocky Mount, I have some ideas on where it might be after browsing around on Google Maps. Looks like there is a rest stop on I-95 just north of Rock Mount. Seems like the perfect location. The only other place that I can think of would be near the intersection of I-95 and US 64 (which would actually be more convenient so you don't have to get on 95 if you're traveling East-West on US 64). Anyone live nearby to do some recon?

9. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

I'll be driving back from the beach on 64 on Sunday. I'll try and keep my eye out for anything. I'm also going to be investigating the Plymouth area as well to see if signs of that one has shown up.

10. doctrewho

doctrewho Member

And look what I've come across! In the double tree parking lot right off of exit 466 on 64.

Attached Files:

11. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Great detective work! Is that a shopping center? What's in the area?

12. timdorr

timdorr Model S P1698 / VIN 1657

Based on the time it took for the Burlington location to be built (9/21-10/17), Rocky Mount should ready to go before Thanksgiving.

13. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

Excellent, thanks doctrewho! I've added this to Recargo, and stolen one of your pics:

EV Charging Location - Tesla Superchargers - Rocky Mount, NC

Based on an overhead view from Google Maps (see link above for that) this appears to be a FIVE parking spot location. That would be an odd number for a Tesla SC site, literally and figuratively.

14. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Thanks, doctrewho! :-D

Hmm, there could be a sixth on the other side of the peninsula sticking out in front of the backhoe. See first picture; heck, it could even be eight (looks like some stuff beyond the parking spots on the other side of that peninsula?).

Or it could be four; after all, five old parking spots doesn't mean it has to be five new Supercharger spots.

15. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

Yeah, you're right on both counts. Could just be four, or more beyond the backhoe. Doctrewho, what do you think?

It's not really a shopping center, but there are restaurants nearby.

16. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Nice find! I'm glad it's on 64. A little less convenient when going on 95, but it would have been a lot more inconvenient for those on 64 to have to get on 95. I think my Raleigh to NY trip is coming soon. :)

17. Eggplant

Eggplant Member

I'm pretty sure I can see conduit on the other side of the backhoe. Four on each side?

18. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Took the long way home after a visit to the new SC in VA; should have fully range charged before leaving VA, as I ended up having to stop at a 30A charger about 20 miles from home to make sure I got home... guess that long stretch of I-95 where I was reading the highway number as the speed limit affected range! :wink:

Definitely an 8 charger setup split into two groups by the curb at the corner of the parking strip with the charger bays. Not the best quality of photos (only had phone with me), but looks like they are making good progress!

IMG_2121.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2123.JPG

19. ggbjr

ggbjr Member

Ha! Glad you made it (and where'd you stop btw)! Looks like they're making great progress. Thanks for the update!

20. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

At the Schneider / Square D facility in Knightdale off of business 64, have used that one multiple times in a pinch when coming home from the east low on charge.

Schneider Electric - Visitor Lot - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

I think they may have refreshed the hardware since my last visit, as this time it required waving my ChargePoint card at the unit to get charging started, don't recall that being required on prior visits.

If you don't yet have a ChargePoint card, I highly recommend getting one, as it is needed to activate various free chargers in NC and elsewhere.