Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rocky Mountains Range Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning,

I ordered a Model X a few days ago, and have been drilling down on some time and range calculations.

I often make a trip from Fort Collins, CO to Salt Lake, UT. Current superchargers require a trip over I-70. Having ordered the 60D, and looking at winter temperatures and driving over mountains, it appears I can't make it to the first supercharger in Silverthorn. This is based off of evtripplanner. Has anyone had experience with a similar route that can ease my mind?

It might be a little close in winter with very cold temperatures. I will let another more experienced driver in cold climates reply with better information. A key to cold weather driving to maximize distance is to use the bun warmers in the seats over the cabin heater. The cabin heater sucks a lot of energy and can impact distance materially.

EVTripplanner says that during temperate times the trip down Interstate 25 and west on I70 is easy.

I often make a trip from Fort Collins, CO to Salt Lake, UT. Current superchargers require a trip over I-70. Having ordered the 60D, and looking at winter temperatures and driving over mountains, it appears I can't make it to the first supercharger in Silverthorn.
Another thing to watch for is the potential new Supercharger along I-25 in the Thornton area. I recently found the documentation submitted for the Lincoln, Nebraska Supercharger which shows several new locations along I-25, I-76 and I-80. At the Tesla event in Avon on Friday, the Tesla employee said that they are going to compete the gaps on I-80 this year.

While you probably wouldn't need the Thornton location in warmer weather, it could allow you to recharge before heading up I-70 in colder temperatures.

Here's an image @Chuq made combining the existing Supercharger map with those locations shown on the Lincoln application paperwork.
MiExwgy.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and scottf200
Good morning,

I ordered a Model X a few days ago, and have been drilling down on some time and range calculations.

I often make a trip from Fort Collins, CO to Salt Lake, UT. Current superchargers require a trip over I-70. Having ordered the 60D, and looking at winter temperatures and driving over mountains, it appears I can't make it to the first supercharger in Silverthorn. This is based off of evtripplanner. Has anyone had experience with a similar route that can ease my mind?
in winter those climbs will be taxing your capacity to the max, I charged 25-30% more than the trip planner in the car called for, and sometimes the extra range was needed

I would not recommend it. I spend a lot of time in Montana and Colorado in the winter and the cold temperatures can be extreme. I would get a 90D if that is your typical driving pattern. In fact if you live in any of the mountainous western states with cold winters I would get nothing less than a 75 but a 90 would be best.

Reactions: GSP
I agree with the previous posts. You will need more energy than you think. Your actual range will be lower than the rated range. I needed to charge an extra 25%-30% traveling at highway speeds over the continental divide yesterday, and was even more disappointed by my energy use in the winter. Get the 75 at least.

Reactions: GSP
Thanks for all the info, especially the added charger in Denver, that reduces my worry a bit. A quick stop there would be well advised in the winter for sure. The extra 25% is a good suggestion as well for a buffer. I'm definitely looking forward to the delivery!

Regularly is a few times a year for me. Definitely not super regular. Thanks for the advice!

Noneduck - What vehicle do you have?

Thanks for all the info, especially the added charger in Denver, that reduces my worry a bit. A quick stop there would be well advised in the winter for sure. The extra 25% is a good suggestion as well for a buffer. I'm definitely looking forward to the delivery!

Regularly is a few times a year for me. Definitely not super regular. Thanks for the advice!

Noneduck - What vehicle do you have?
Mine is a S 90D

I did a lot of mountainous driving in my X last winter. It's very common to see consumption of 500 Wh/mile, and turning off the heater doesn't help much because torque sleep switches off in freezing temperatures, causing the drivetrain to use 10-15% more power. Also, you can expect to consume 8 miles of range for each 1000' elevation gain, and recover 7 miles of range for each 1000' decline.

• Informative
Reactions: BrettH
I had an original 60 Model S when I lived in Denver. It's EPA range was 208 miles. I made many trips over the Rockies with no problems, many times during snow storms (please be sure to use proper winter tires!! I can't stress this enough). You may not be able to drive as fast as some traffic, but I was definitely comfortable at speed limits. I had to stop at every Supercharger, and charge for longer than Tesla advertises, but it's definitely doable. Would definitely be more comfortable with a larger battery pack, but I wouldn't be worried.

One benefit of the 60D (with the software-limited 75 KWh battery) is that you can charge to 100% all of the time, plus it charges faster than the old 60. However, Wind/Snow/Cold will drop your range by 20-50%. If you rarely do long drives in the winter, then it won't be very inconvenient to spend a little more time, stop for a level 2 charge to top up. However, if you're a serious winter lover or skier, then I'd recommend the 75D.