Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rode in a P85D - Ordered one the next day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I had seen the videos and thought I knew what to expect. One evening we spotted a silver P85D in a restaurant parking lot and took a guess at which of the couples eating outside owned it. I asked if the Tesla was theirs and they said yes. We talked for a while and the owner ended up offering to give us a ride. My wife and I had never been in a Tesla and were very impressed with how roomy is was in front and back. We had bought an Audi A8 the previous year and was amazed that the P85D felt almost as big inside as the A8. Seeing the display and dash made us feel like we were sitting in something from the future. Then he floored it in Insane mode....

I thought I was going to pass out!

I never imagined that a car could have that much instant acceleration. I had bugged my wife for years about getting a sport car but after test driving several Porsches and BMWs, she always complained about the noise, the cramped seating and bumpy ride. Needless to say, the P85D impressed her greatly. This ride convinced both of us that we needed one ASAP. We tried to order a new Silver P85D the next day but found that the Silver color we very much wanted had been discontinued. So we ordered a silver demo P85D from the west coast (we live near Fort Wayne, Indiana). Two days later, Tesla reinstated the Silver color option (saw the announcement first in this forum). Just our luck. We were going to stay with the demo but after a week of trying to get shipping started and seeing the mileage increase from 2800 to 3300 miles, we canceled it.

We then ordered a fully loaded silver P90D with Ludicrous mode. It should arrive sometime in December, maybe in time for Christmas. Note that we've yet to drive a Tesla; the ride was just that impressive. We've had offers to drive one before ours is delivered but it might be better to save that first experience for our new P90DL. And while we're no longer Insane virgins, we can still look forward to that first Ludicrous experience.

I guess this post is more of a book than an intro but at age 63, it's been a long time since I've been this excited about a new toy!

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Gee, I can't believe I used "Road" instead of "Rode" in the title. Maybe one of the forum moderators can fix that and delete this reply.

Congrats on making your move! I gave a young couple a ride in my slug (85) yesterday and the wife sitting next to me had her heart in her throat before the car topped out! Both of them were amazed and had no idea that riding in a Tesla, not to mention driving it, could be so exhilarating!

Congratulations. I think after a few days of of the P90D you can update your name to Young Man Mike.

Wow, a post from UAE is about the last place I would expect to hear from a P90D owner. It must be strange driving an electric car in an area so focused on oil. I don't see any Super Chargers or Tesla stores in UAE. Do you have any problems keeping it charged?

Congrats on making your move! I gave a young couple a ride in my slug (85) yesterday and the wife sitting next to me had her heart in her throat before the car topped out! Both of them were amazed and had no idea that riding in a Tesla, not to mention driving it, could be so exhilarating!

I'll bet there would be tremendous surge in sales if more people could experience a ride. Tesla should consider making that $2K referral incentive program permanent.

Wow, a post from UAE is about the last place I would expect to hear from a P90D owner. It must be strange driving an electric car in an area so focused on oil. I don't see any Super Chargers or Tesla stores in UAE. Do you have any problems keeping it charged?

Not at all...we charge at home or at public charging stations. The real problem is a) getting full-comp insurance, and b) when we have an issue we have to ship the car back to Europe. Still totally worth it :). PS: I am stilling waiting for mine, but I have several friends here who have a Model S.