Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rodent - probably squirrel - damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading back from a weekend in Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley and got these messages:
  • Steering assist reduced
  • Automatic vehicle hold disabled
  • Traction control disabled
  • Stability control disabled
  • Regenerative braking disabled
  • Automatic emergency braking is disabled
  • ABS (antilock braking system) disabled
  • Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable
  • Cruise control disabled

Tesla repaired the wiring harness for just under $300 (~$100 labor and $195 diagnostics). Evidence of rodents under the car, seems like just in front of the rear motor. I need to ask for the pics. They’re not in the app’s service section with the invoice.

During our inspection we found connector x157 to have rodent damage to the wiring harness causing an electrical open. The technician repaired the wiring with a new set of terminals and verified normal operation.

Would be great if these cars were sealed to prevent this.

Shocking, 100+ miles with all these disabled isn’t a fun drive but it was better than expect and range was still surprisingly good w/o regen. I kept it ~65-70 mph most of the time to be safe.

Rodent kit anyone?

Better than repairing the knock sensor harness on my Tacoma @$2500 buried deep in the very cozy V6. Yummy soy wires!

Oh, at least I got the hood straightened a bit (much better) and got taillight alignment marginally improved while it was in the shop. Gaps are more consistent now; not perfect but more even throughout.

In Tucson, and the desert in general I believe, pack rats love to climb inside and chew wiring harnesses regardless of car make - they don’t discriminate. Squirrels too! If you don’t park in a garage ICE car owners leave their hoods up and sometimes run a light under their car to ward them off. Nature my friend! Glad I have a garage.... :)

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I catch these little suckers from time to time. Lay a few traps near your vehicle the next time you venture out to a national park. There are a lot of squirrel/rodent traps you can find on Amazon.
IMG_0429.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: dmd2005
That’s a covered comp claim on your auto insurance. Most policies have low (often $0) comp deductibles....
Yup, covered by comp for all major insurance carriers. $300 would be the cheapest rodent repair I've seen... You were lucky that those particular wires were what Master Splinter was craving! Actually Master Splinter was lucky too... though I bet a HV wire would leave him feeling nice and energized/dead.

I've used the Peppermint spray with success, and I hear pepper spray works even better. Best solution is kill as many rats as possible :)