Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ROEV Association - Access public chargers using any participating network’s account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spidy

Feb 7, 2015
EU
ROEV.com

How it works:

• EV automakers, charging networks, charging manufacturers, charging technology companies, and electric utilities are collaborating to provide charging network interoperability, to make public charging more accessible and convenient.
  • ROEV adopts and promotes standards to provide drivers with easy access to all participating charging networks and public charging stations.
  • ROEV will ensure that different networks can communicate with one another and share charging requests and details, for an easy and convenient consumer charging experience.
  • Participating EV charging networks will share charging station and session data with one another while keeping personal information private.
  • EV drivers can enjoy greater “range confidence,” or the confidence to take longer EV road trips more often, due to a more convenient public charging experience.
ROEV will enable EV drivers to use a participating charging network account at multiple public charging stations and networks, thereby simplifying public charging to facilitate longer distance EV travel and, thus, making it easier for drivers to make the switch to electric cars.

All Major Charging Networks In US Come Together With ROEV - Interoperability Now A Reality

It doesn't look to me like they have addressed the issue of knowing how much a charge is going to cost you when you get to a station that is on a network you haven't used before. I'm sure they will get the station activated, but I'm worried about how they will communicate the cost.

I don't see how this is anything but good news for Tesla owners. Superchargers + ROEV network. Who could ask for anything more or want anything less.
I don't see how this is a big deal. I have no trouble keeping a ChargePoint, Blink, and eVgo card in the car glove box, for the total of 4 times that I've used one in over 2 years. All this would mean is I just need one of the cards and it would work for all 3 networks charging stations. It doesn't make the stations any more reliable, accessible, plentiful, or faster.

I don't see how this is a big deal. I have no trouble keeping a ChargePoint, Blink, and eVgo card in the car glove box, for the total of 4 times that I've used one in over 2 years. All this would mean is I just need one of the cards and it would work for all 3 networks charging stations. It doesn't make the stations any more reliable, accessible, plentiful, or faster.
For a first time EV user it might make a difference. Your typical ICE driver isn't going to want deal with multiple cards.

Great idea, the devil is in the details, of course. Would be nice for Tesla to join - eventually another car maker will build a car that can be connected to the Supercharger network, and Tesla would be wise to be part of something like this to accept payment for such access.

Here’s how it matters: As you said, you have those three charging cards, and then you go to another city, pull up to a charging station, and look at it, and say, “What the hell is a Semacharge?”

ROEV Association - Access public chargers using any participating network’s a...

Here’s how it matters: As you said, you have those three charging cards, and then you go to another city, pull up to a charging station, and look at it, and say, “What the hell is a Semacharge?”

Or a "MobileNOW" which covers only one station I've heard of, in downtown Fredericksburg TX...
I've installed their app and it will pull $20 to put "on account" even for a $3 charge.

What is wrong with a generic credit card? The whole thing smacks of trying to avoid paying 2% discount rate to the credit card companies.

Efficient posting is when you answer your own question!

Or a "MobileNOW" which covers only one station I've heard of, in downtown Fredericksburg TX...
I've installed their app and it will pull $20 to put "on account" even for a $3 charge.
!
The difference is ROEV will include networked charging stations such as ChargePoint, Blink, etc. The charging stations in Fredericksburg are two Clipper Creek CS-60s which are not networked. They're MUCH less expensive that way, both for initial purchase and ongoing operating cost. In order to charge users (which was a requirement of the city, which is supplying the electricity), the Clipper Creeks were installed with a keypad option for mobile payments-- pay by smartphone and get a code to punch in to activate the stations. It's a little inconvenience for much faster charging.

In case you don't know, these high amp (48A) level 2 stations were installed on the advice of the Austin/San Antonio Tesla owners group. The city had planned to install overpriced and underpowered ChargePoint 30A units (which were networked) until we staged an intervention. The only reason 48A was chosen rather than 80A was the 48A units were the highest amp Clipper Creek units at that time which could accommodate the keypad option for payment. They were only the second high amp J1772s in Texas, and I don't know of others since then not counting HPWCs (which were offered to Fredericksburg but they declined as they didn't want to install something for just one make of EV even though Tesla was and still is the only EV that can get to Fredericksburg from Austin or San Antonio).

ROEV Association - Access public chargers using any participating network’s a...

The city had planned to install overpriced and underpowered ChargePoint 30A units (which were networked) until we staged an intervention. The only reason 48A was chosen rather than 80A was the 48A units were the highest amp Clipper Creek units at that time which could accommodate the keypad option for payment.
I hate that that starts to sound almost defensive. Any such effort that increases infrastructure is to be heartily applauded. And y'all realized over 50% faster charging than the sadly, usually-settled-for 30A cookie cutter stalls! Kudos!

I see the comments on PlugShare where folks are surprised by the "different" brand/app needed... but I had loaded that puppy from the comfort of my office ahead of time. Did my homework. It was insurance for a gig in Kerrville, which turned out to be handled amply by the free ChargePoint (across the street from said gig!) and I didn't use the MobileNOW thingy.
Now equipped, I would love to see a dozen more MN enabled stations, especially since there are keypad Clippers >60A now... Make the app useful in more places. If non-network makes it more affordable which makes it doable, then I can't fault it.
It's more convenient to use a phone from my pocket than fish a card out of the glovebox anyway!

Until very recently, eVgo refused cards to Canadian residents. Now they're in the same boat as Blink---you can obtain membership, but not through the online form, so it's a bit of a hassle.

So, I am looking forward to ROEV in order to be able to use my Chargepoint card at eVGo locations. However, ROEV is not yet operable and I don't believe they've released a public time-table for how long it will take.

This is a great idea. The key will be implementation. This is also not the first time this has been proposed or attempted. I believe there were several other aborted attempts at interoperability between the major charging networks. The big breakthrough will be convenience. Like TexasEV said, it's not a huge deal to have several different cards or apps. But not having to fumble around for the right one for the right charger is a step in the right direction.

This is a great idea. The key will be implementation. This is also not the first time this has been proposed or attempted. I believe there were several other aborted attempts at interoperability between the major charging networks. The big breakthrough will be convenience. Like TexasEV said, it's not a huge deal to have several different cards or apps. But not having to fumble around for the right one for the right charger is a step in the right direction.

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nicer just to park, plug-in and walk away. And wouldn't it be nice not to have people held up because someone's card isn't working?

Yeah, but wouldn't it be nicer just to park, plug-in and walk away. And wouldn't it be nice not to have people held up because someone's card isn't working?

Yes. You'd think you could make it as seamless as a one-time registration with the vehicle's VIN, a CC number, and the charger would be smart enough to recognize the vehicle once it does the charge "handshake" and auto-bill the account. I agree. That would be ideal.