Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec charger filled with water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found the adapter plug(?) on my charger after the recent heavy rain in S Yorkshire area. I don’t have the car yet and The charger is just as the installers left it. The cable was looped over with a “weather proof” cap on the end, resulting in the cap filling with water ‍♂️

I’ve got it all drained and dried out, any tips for giving it a clean? It looks a little - I stress, a little bit dirty in there, although I also never really looked at it before. Tried some cotton buds didn’t really do much though.

I’ve clipped it onto the port on the front of the wall unit now so that water cannot collect again.

with a “weather proof” cap on the end

If its the one I think it is then its a dust cap, not a waterproof cap. Dangle it over the cable-tidy, with the plug hanging down so no water can collect, and keep the dust cap off it. Water collecting in the plug will erode the pins over time; they will be fine "in air" (but hanging down) (Although i think some Rolec wall charger have a fake-socket in the front that you can plug into when not in use - hopefully that has a drainage hole!)

I have a spray can of electric contact cleaner for cleaning my charger plug ... but I've read conflicting advice along the lines of "cleaning is not a DIY option"

Caps on cables have been reported as having this problem several times on this forum. Seems best to either leave cap off and dangle downwards or keep plugged into a retaining socket, as you are doing. I have no previous experience ... but ... I would flood it with WD40 to flush any bits of grit or whatever, dry off the residue with paper towel ... hopefully sorted. I'm sure someone will post a reply telling you WD will kill your charger if this is a known problem!