Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec EV WallPod Charging Station £355.61

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

I've finally layed my cable, all 50 Meters of 6mm 3core SWA, needless to say, it was a two-day job form hell... Anyway, im now looking to order my charger and spent the past few months looking about i had settled on the EO mini but i'm able to get a 7.2 KW Rolec for £350 and just wondered what you guys thought about it?

Thanks

yes you can get a untethered podpoint, I'm sure they will sell you just the unit give them a call. I have the tethered one and it's been super reliable, it looks neat on the side of my house, the cable just winds around the outside of the unit. I believe podpoint can also put a lock on the unit so no one can steal your electricity!

Yeah, more digging i think... I'd discounted tethered because i wanted a thinner cable and one that could be replaced without needing to replace the charging unit but I'm thining fek it...

Arghhh stupid OLEV.. and its "you dont have off road parking" last time i checked a garage and parking space away from the road was off road :(

Yeah, more digging i think... I'd discounted tethered because i wanted a thinner cable and one that could be replaced without needing to replace the charging unit but I'm thining fek it...

Arghhh stupid OLEV.. and its "you dont have off road parking" last time i checked a garage and parking space away from the road was off road :(
Speak to podpoint they are a nice company to deal with. They normally come with a pretty thin cable unless you have 3 phase and then the cable size is exactly the same thickness as the blue type 2 cable supplied by tesla when you bought the car.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
6mm 3core SWA

Why did you go for 3-core?

Please don't get a ROLEC they are rubbish and melt inside then go kapput! podpoint, zappi and tesla wall chargers are the best

Rolec have had issues, but recent reports suggest that the RCBOs they are now using (with green switch toggle) are OK. The various different blue ones they used before are unsatisfactory.

While maybe not of the highest quality, one advantage of the Rolec is that all the parts inside are off-the-shelf items that can easily be replaced if it fails, while most others are proprietary inside and your only recourse is to the manufacturer (or a complete new unit).
OLEV installs get a 3-year warranty, but most suppliers don't offer that when selling the units separately for a non-grant install.

• Informative
Reactions: sidmini
Hi

6mm 3 core is what 3 Seperately sparkles all told me to use, I know it’s technically for 3 phase and whilst they may have all been lazy in maybe using the 3rd core as an earth rather than steel wire, they be the experts and they all said the same.

Olev is off the table for me and it’s like what £100 difference between the Rolec and Tesla. I’ve managed to get confirmation that the tethered cable on the TWC is 20mm and I’ve found a cable cover that’s good for 2000kg and rated for cars even though the chance is small.

Gonna hot pod up tomorrow but think I may be back in the TWC camp especially as I can make a tethered option work, just need to double measure that 24ft is long enough :)

7.2 KW Rolec

I have Rolex (Typo ... but I'm leaving it in!!) both at home & work (Tesla wasn't available way-back-then). Both of them trip occasionally (10% into an overnight charge is a PITA :( ), and I have needed Sparky-visit twice in 2-and-a-bit years. But mine is an old unit of course ...

I could go tethered... but i need to find something that the cable can go in to allow the occasional drive over the cable

Unless I've confused you with someone else (quite possible ...) ...

You have to run the trailing-lad across an area to reach where your car is parked, and someone else might drive over that - is that your situation?

Tethered definitely better - drive up, plug in, no faffing with coiling up cables / whatever. Loop the cable over the charger when not in use. Much nicer in the wet than "put the cable away" or, worse, "put the UMC back in the car" ... all IMHO of course :)

However, I presume you need long-reach-cable to get to your car? if so are the tethered ones going to be long enough? and just in case I'm being thick ... again ... is there any issue with "just coil it over around the charger"? e.g. wrong-side-of-fence or summat like that?

Thanks for comments guys and double confirmation of cable size.

@WannabeOwner ues I am he... I think, the one with mental routing issue of power.

Podpoibt wanted 500 for the charger so I’ve settled on a TWC and some rubber ramp to protect the cable.

Charger is on the inside of the fence but I have enough room I think to mount on the inside behind/about my bin shed and even with the 24ft cable will wrap around and be out the way, I intend to cut out a little notch in the gate for the cable to pass under the gate when locked.

I’ve just got to measure 24ft of hose pipe to test it’s long enough to reach whilst training along the floor, my mental man math says yes but need to double check.

UMC for me is emergency use only I want to avoid using it if I can.

@Mark_T how deep is the TWC in face do you have or is it online anywhere the full dimensions of the unit so I can double check the fit?

I also found out today that my employer is fitting 15 charging points at work, not a clue what they are but charging at work makes my life much easier and actually makes home charging a backup as I also have a super charger 5mins from my house, I consider myself very lucky unless the 15 chargers turn out to be 15 outdoor 13amp plug sockets :)

Essentially on the inside here is where the TWC will go. Gonna Mount a piece of marine ply wood before painting the fence then the TWC and existing wall socket will be mounted on the plywood.
D82383C6-27E0-4314-AEA5-923E6FE9753F.jpeg 39A544CA-E5A9-4505-BF02-CA06A3F0DF6D.jpeg