Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec EV WallPod Charging Station £355.61

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
776EC179-F345-4CF5-BE18-D12DC8879605.jpeg 239B9A9E-C273-40AD-ABD7-6800EC5BA187.jpeg 59C365BF-7811-4B7C-8498-1BDB6B054E39.jpeg B4AF4B9C-AEDF-47B7-973D-020273EC5B55.jpeg F762B1F6-074D-4ED8-BBC5-1E9858A17C01.jpeg More work on laying the cable next step ordering the charger :)

6mm 3 core is what 3 Seperately sparkles all told me to use, I know it’s technically for 3 phase and whilst they may have all been lazy in maybe using the 3rd core as an earth rather than steel wire, they be the experts and they all said the same.

Fair enough, but if you are putting in an earth rod for a TT earth at the chargepoint (normal practice if house is on PME as most new build will be), then the 3rd core won't be connected to anything at all!

not sure what TT means

Sorry, it's jargon for one of the three earthing systems permitted in the UK public supply:
  • TN-C-S (also known as PME) - "earth" wiring in the house is connected (before the meter) to the supply neutral, and that is connected to true earth (soil) with rods or grids at the transformer and down the street. Cable in the street is 3-core plus sheath, sheath being combined neutral and earth. Cable to a normal house is just 2 wires (or sheath and central core). Nowadays considered most suitable for most straightforward domestic installations.
  • TN-S - Earth wiring in the house is connected to an earth terminal provided by the supplier, and a separate core in the supply cable connects to the earthed neutral point back at the transformer. Cable in the street is 4-core plus sheath, sheath being earth only and neutral having a separate core. Historically common in towns, now falling out of use.
  • TT - Earth wiring in the house is connected to "true earth" with an earth rod or similar. Neutral at the transformer is also connected to true earth. No earth wire in the street at all - just 4 wires for the three phases and neutral. Historically common in rural areas with overhead wiring. Mandatory on farms, construction sites and similar "outdoor" locations.
These systems all have pros and cons, but where everything is indoors TN-C-S (PME) is normally considered the best compromise and so it's now almost universal in new installations for houses. Unfortunately, EV charging outdoors breaks that assumption and taking the TN-C-S earth from the house outdoors is considered higher risk than providing a separate earth on the "TT" system for the chargepoint.

This balance of risk is reflected in the wiring regulations; there are cases where the TN-C-S earth can be used for EV charging, but I don't think @Fellsteruk 's setup is one of them (assuming his house is indeed TN-C-S/PME).

More description here:
https://www.ee.iitb.ac.in/course/~emlab/assets/earthing.pdf

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking a TWC will connect only to a Tesla? So say in a few years I change my Model 3 to something else, will I need a new wall charger? I'm not sure if the TWC has a propriety connector similar to Type 2 or it actually is a Type 2 that any other car could use.

Am I right in thinking a TWC will connect only to a Tesla? So say in a few years I change my Model 3 to something else, will I need a new wall charger? I'm not sure if the TWC has a propriety connector similar to Type 2 or it actually is a Type 2 that any other car could use.
I can confirm that the TWC works fine with the Kona electric. It is standard Type 2.

• Helpful
Reactions: Andy_T_73