Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec EV Wallpod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about getting a Rolec EV Wallpod installed to charge my Model 3.

Can anyone who already has one installed let me know if they make any noise while charging the car?

I have already asked Rolec this question and they said the unit is silent, but wanted feedback from real life users to make sure.

Can anyone who already has one installed let me know if they make any noise while charging the car?

I have already asked Rolec this question and they said the unit is silent, but wanted feedback from real life users to make sure.

I think you win the prize for unique question of the month! I don't know the answer ... but I can't imagine why any home charger would make any noise. The car itself will make a few (very low) noises sometimes ... Superchargers are a different story though!

There is a noticeably loud Clunk or click when you connect it but after that I haven't noticed. anything else if someone else doesn't respond ill have a listen when I get home tomorrow but since it's basically just a big switch and does not have a transformer ( except for a mini one for the internal electronics presumably) so I can't see why it would

Reactions: Sixer

I have had a 32 amp Rolec for over five years now and I could not recommend them really. This has been my experience:

Years 1-2 - I had a 3.3 kWh Leaf and the charger worked fine. Made a gentle hum about as loud as a quiet conversation.
Year 3-4 - I changed to an i3 with 7 kWh charging. Lasted about a month before burning out. Rolec replaced some bits and it worked 90% of the time before tripping out. Not an issue as I rarely needed the full charge and at least the Rolec was silent now.
Year 5 - It worked with my M3 for about 4 months, tripping out about 70% of the time before going kaput a couple of months ago. I have been in touch with Rolec via Email and Web Page contact, both with no response.

Now I am charging with a 3 pin plug. A new charger is going to set me back £800-£1000.

Throughout the charger makes a bit of a clunk when starting and stopping a charge. Louder than speaking, but quieter than shouting.

I have had a 32 amp Rolec for over five years now and I could not recommend them really. This has been my experience:

Years 1-2 - I had a 3.3 kWh Leaf and the charger worked fine. Made a gentle hum about as loud as a quiet conversation.
Year 3-4 - I changed to an i3 with 7 kWh charging. Lasted about a month before burning out. Rolec replaced some bits and it worked 90% of the time before tripping out. Not an issue as I rarely needed the full charge and at least the Rolec was silent now.
Year 5 - It worked with my M3 for about 4 months, tripping out about 70% of the time before going kaput a couple of months ago. I have been in touch with Rolec via Email and Web Page contact, both with no response.

Now I am charging with a 3 pin plug. A new charger is going to set me back £800-£1000.

Throughout the charger makes a bit of a clunk when starting and stopping a charge. Louder than speaking, but quieter than shouting.
Rolec did have some well documented quality issues on their older models. Particularly with cheap trip switches. Allegedly they are much better now. I doubt a current model has much in common with your 5 year old one.
Not had any issues with mine so far but only had it a few months

My Rolec experience so far FWIW - No noise whatsoever when charging. A clonk when it starts to charge and a clonk when it stops. Mine is fixed to the side of my house and therefore the clonk is noticeable compared to say, having it on a garage wall for instance but because I use the nightly off peak electricity tariff (00:30 - 04:30) it doesn't bother me. I've had the unit 6 months with no issues. :)

We regularly use a 32A Rolec Multimode (additional 13A 3-pin) - totally silent, except feint click when start/stop charge and completely different internals to the Rolecs of old.

upload_2020-3-5_17-56-32.png

No noise I can think of apart from the initial clunk as mentioned in a previous post.

In regards to reliability, I had mine installed in Sep last year and had been working fine up until a month or so ago. Had it repaired a few weeks back as the rcbo kept tripping, worked ok for a week or so and now doing same thing. Currently using 3 pin which is far from ideal!

I have one on my house externally. It’s silent in use BUT that clunk is pretty loud when it stops/starts. It’s like someone drop closing a wheelie bin lid. It’s especially annoying when using scheduled charging when it will do the clunk noise a few times during the night. Quality otherwise is fine and it works.

We regularly use a 32A Rolec Multimode (additional 13A 3-pin) - totally silent, except feint click when start/stop charge and completely different internals to the Rolecs of old.

View attachment 518290
You don’t have a better resolution of that interior do you? I’ve an older 32a type 1 that I am swooping the cable on and having now seen the stories the rcbo. I’ve struggled to get a blanking plate for the bottom at reasonable cost so have got the 13a socket to go multi mode instead (as the holster needs to change and the one I got is a remote one) and it would be super helpful to confirm how it is wired in.
Thanks!

Rolec did have some well documented quality issues on their older models. Particularly with cheap trip switches. Allegedly they are much better now. I doubt a current model has much in common with your 5 year old one.

That’s the thing about reputation. Easy to lose. Hard to regain.

You don’t have a better resolution of that interior do you?

That is high resolution - it's just blurred!

I've got a couple of others but not sure they will help - I felt I shouldn't have been there so had to rush them. The first one here may be better, but its still blurred.

upload_2020-3-5_20-11-35.png upload_2020-3-5_20-10-15.png temp.png

Not sure if these will work - I kept getting security errors pasting them in

• Helpful
Reactions: awaghorn
I assume you aren't eligible for the grant. If not then you should be able to buy a new one at less than £500 and get any electrician to fit it using the existing wiring.
Electricians want around £200 to fit even with existing wiring, which is a bit of a bummer. I could do it myself, but I do not fancy mucking about with that much power and a large metal object nearby :)

I agree that Rolec is using better components now, but it is telling how much customer service you will get once it is out of warranty. I do not mind paying for a repair, but to ignore me is not fair.

Got one of the older dumb chargers, loud clunk is a pain as mine is on the outside of bedroom wall, worked ok for 4 years with my hybrid but did trip quite a lot, lasted a week before it died with the M3, rcbo burnt out ( was one of the blue ones) replaced with a new rcbo for £20 ( upgraded green rolec one) also replaced the cable while I was at it , been as good as gold since with not a single trip out ( 4months now)

• Helpful
Reactions: Tattersky
Got one of the older dumb chargers, loud clunk is a pain as mine is on the outside of bedroom wall, worked ok for 4 years with my hybrid but did trip quite a lot, lasted a week before it died with the M3, rcbo burnt out ( was one of the blue ones) replaced with a new rcbo for £20 ( upgraded green rolec one) also replaced the cable while I was at it , been as good as gold since with not a single trip out ( 4months now)

Have you got the details of the new rcbo and where you got it from?
Ta!